Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08 LS with 4,000 miles. the thing that drives me nuts is that I can't just tap the horn to make it sound, I have to hit it hard. This could be a problem if someone appears in front of me suddenly. The dealer said they cleaned the contacts, but I don't notice much of a difference. Is this normal on a Cobalt? On my 20 yr. old Dodge Aries I could sound off just by touching the horn button with my thumb. Other than the horn, and the fact that there's no feeling in the gas pedal, I like the car. I never had one that's so quiet once you're inside. I don't mind getting stuck in traffic because I can't hear the noise outside.

·
Registered
298 Posts
"no feeling in the gas pedal"????
What do you mean by that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With all the cars I've owned since 1961, there was always a feeling of resistance as I pressed the gas pedal. Probably the linkage. In the Cobalt there is none of this feel, so it's as if the pedal isn't connected to anything.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
With all the cars I've owned since 1961, there was always a feeling of resistance as I pressed the gas pedal. Probably the linkage. In the Cobalt there is none of this feel, so it's as if the pedal isn't connected to anything.
It's not attached to anything but wires!!!! LOL!!!

It is "fly-by-wire" -- you are only pushing a rheostat type switch. The ECM controls the throttle electronically. It is actually eerie to watch the throttle blade open when you blip the gas pedal and you know there is no cable attached to it.

My horn is the same way -- takes a little extra effort to make it honk.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i dont have a problem with it because every time i use my horrn, i usally punch the thing as hard as i can. i never want to gently press my horn,i only do it out of rage.

·
Banned
292 Posts
It's not attached to anything but wires!!!! LOL!!!

It is "fly-by-wire" -- you are only pushing a rheostat type switch. The ECM controls the throttle electronically. It is actually eerie to watch the throttle blade open when you blip the gas pedal and you know there is no cable attached to it.

My horn is the same way -- takes a little extra effort to make it honk.
correct.

i dont have a problem with it because every time i use my horrn, i usally punch the thing as hard as i can. i never want to gently press my horn,i only do it out of rage.
ditto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:amazed:
Okay, let's see if I've got this straight: the car goes, but there's no direct connection between the gas pedal and the engine. I suppose the steering wheel has puppet strings going to the front wheels, too? It seems as though the only direct contact in the car is my butt to the seat. Any other weird things I should know about?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
:amazed:
Okay, let's see if I've got this straight: the car goes, but there's no direct connection between the gas pedal and the engine. I suppose the steering wheel has puppet strings going to the front wheels, too? It seems as though the only direct contact in the car is my butt to the seat. Any other weird things I should know about?
Hmmm...If you open the hood and look for a power steering reservior you won't find one. Your power steering is electric. It is a direct steering-wheel to rack-and-pinion so you don't have to worry about that...LoL..the electric assist motor is under the dash on the steering column! You can't change out the radio easily as it is connected to the Body Control Module. Just about every aspect of the engine is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) so if you try to change cams or throttle body (as in go bigger) your engine will go into limp mode unless you have a way of tuning the ECM. If you have an auto tranny you cannot control the shift points regardless of what position you have the shift selector in...you only change the way the auto tranny behaves...LoL!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.