Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. It's my first post on the forums, and I wished I hadn't had to have my first post be an issue, but it is. (Yes, I checked the suggested threads)

Yesterday, I had left my windows cracked when I had parked because it was warm outside and didn't look like it was going to rain. Well...a few hours later it rained and I completely forgot that I had my windows cracked, so when I went back to my car, voila, rain had gotten in. I had checked all my buttons and they had seemed to work..well, the ones that worked previously anyway.

So as I was driving home, my car decides to unlock itself and lock itself whenever it pleased. I talked to a few friends and my dad, and they all said to let the switches dry out and unhook the battery overnight, which I did. Got up this morning, hooked the battery back up, and on my drive to school, my car still was locking and unlocking itself whenever it wanted. I read the threads about the BCM, but I was just curious if the rain that got in had anything to do with it?

I have a 2008 Cobalt LT, if the specificality of it helps.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
happened to me for a minute, then i fixed my key fob lol. If you have more than one key fob try using the second one while driving and keep the first one away to see if it's that. It's good to start out small

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dad opened up mine (the only one we have for the car) and it was broken. I tend to drop my keys a lot. He took it off my keyring this morning and the car kept locking/unlocking itself so it isn't the remote.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
ah, might just be your BCM going nuts then. I think i read something about this problem somewhere around the forum can't remember what exact was suggested though

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Water must have gotten to your door lock switches. You may need to either replace the switches or take them apart depending on your skills and clean it out or check for damage. Like Bronx said and other source could be your BCM, in which case you have to remove one of the blue connectors and plug it in 2 or 3 times to clean the contacts.

If you want your remote repaired PM me or follow these instructions.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/electrical/30592-how-properly-repair-key-fob.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could one of you fine gentlemen link me to a BCM cleaning/repairing/whichever correct term tutorial?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The BCM is on the passenger side....you will see a redish connector with no cover that's C3. I can't remember which is which of the connectors with blue cover but it won't hurt to unplug and re-plug both to clean the contacts. Disconnect battery in trunk first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right on. Thank you! I'll report back to let you know if it's successful. I might have to wait until the weekend because my dad just went back to work and I wouldn't want to screw up

·
Registered
85 Posts
i had this same issue you just need to replace your switch or switches that you got wet about $30 for both from dealer

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Hello 2chance1,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. If you decide to have your Chevrolet dealership look into this for you, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message. Be sure to include your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name. We look forward to hearing your update as well.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
340 Posts
For the locks/door switches...they go bad. It's the first thing I replaced on my daughter's 2006 LS. Go to Amazon...set for both doors is $23/shipped. Dorman# 901-035 was driver's part and Dorman 901-125 was for passenger. Just search on Amazon and takes ~30-min to swap both...1-hr if you have a few beers...=8^)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Depending what side got rained on, you dont have to replace both switches. Had the possessed locks in mine a few years back in both doors, and only had to replace the master switch in the drivers side. Less than $20 part from chevy (after the hubbys 25% discount), & only took about 5 minutes switch them out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.