Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a m62 sc kit, and I heard I can eliminate the bypass valve and use a bov to get more boost. Anyone do something similar?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I have a m62 sc kit, and I heard I can eliminate the bypass valve and use a bov to get more boost. Anyone do something similar?
I'm not going to criticize you because I honestly don't think you know. You can't use a BOV on that style supercharger because that supercharger connects directly to the intake manifold on the car, thus has no piping for the BOV to be put onto. Only way to get more boost off of the supercharger is to get a smaller pulley for it (the best way to get it), or put a smaller exhaust on it to restrict the flow of the engine more (you get more boost but you loose a lot of power as well as do a lot of damage on your engine/supercharger)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
First off my friend, Blow off Valves do not increase power. Their nothing more than a release pressure system found in turbocharged vehicles for when after the flow of air is traveled to the turbo itself. If no BOV or bypass valve is attached to the non charged side of the piping (intercooler), the air will blow back to the turbo itself causing later damage to the inducer fins and ball/ceramic bearings.

Second, a Blow off Valve cannot be applied to a supercharger since the blower is relying only on centrifical force of air directly to the intake valves and its special manifold. Air does NOT go back through the piping, UNLESS you have what is called an "aftercooler", then and ONLY then, you can apply to what is known by a blow back valve or "aftervalve" (tuner's term). The sound is noticeable, but not as quite destinctive as a BOV.

Sorry to burst your bubble man, but Blow off Valve's do not increase in anyway horsepower. Most OEM turbocharged vehicles use a factory bypass valve to aide the recirculation of air back to the turbo so less pressure is lost.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
^^This, however, on certain supercharger setups you can actually use a BOV, but you will need a different type of supercharger.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Centrifugal...

No where near the same...

As a roots blower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.