Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I see that alot of people have problem with the power steering, also I know that if you pull out the fuse you will no have power steering at all, but how is the driving without power steering?
Also how to pull out the power steering fuse - where its located and what to pull out?

Thanks in advence and sorry for my bad eanglish

·
Registered
169 Posts
the fuse is in the fuse box.. i think its the one on the right side of the center console, pull off the cover.. (or its the one under the hood cant remember but its labeled) driving with no powersteering just means it take a hell of an effort to turn the wheel

·
Registered
277 Posts
my power sterring has been messing up for about 3-4 months now, and I drive without it like 1 minute after i get in the car. it shuts off. its 800$ to fix, and SHOULD have been recalled, it happens around 40,000 miles for most people. thats what happens when they put a partially tested Electronic Power Steering system in a car...but driving is easy if your going over 20, it takes two hands when your driving slow, ive gotten use to it, thats why I dont wanna waste money getting it fixed, lol.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I have to start working on my muscles, I got 56, 000 miles and its ok so far, bat I dont know when it will start to shut off by itself- Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
my power sterring has been messing up for about 3-4 months now, and I drive without it like 1 minute after i get in the car. it shuts off. its 800$ to fix, and SHOULD have been recalled, it happens around 40,000 miles for most people. thats what happens when they put a partially tested Electronic Power Steering system in a car...but driving is easy if your going over 20, it takes two hands when your driving slow, ive gotten use to it, thats why I dont wanna waste money getting it fixed, lol.
ya mine started going around 48k

honestly go gmpartsdirect.com or (even better) google newgmparts.com order the column (its with shipping $430) then have a MECHANIC (not GM) put the new one in. Keep the old column and tear it apart to hell

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I got 56 000 miles so I should expect to start loosing power steering?

That may lead to a crash.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If this happens to me in the next 10-15k miles (I'm at just under 31k now), I will probably just crash the car...seriously....

How many cars has this affected, I haven't heard about it until this thread. Does CSS.net or some other site have more info on this with a list of cars it's affected?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I think css.net has some threats aout it but they are all with the same solution 1 spent $1000 to fix it or pull the fuse and drive without power steering .
Its dangerous but we have to deal with it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
61k on my 07 an still fine :)
knock on wood though haha

i had an 03 neon that lost its powersteering and it was hella expensive to fix at the tim i was only 17 so i had no money to fix it.

drove around with it till i got the balt (about 1 year)
it sucked but i got used to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.