Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my dad are starting an interesting project involving a cobalt and several other cars I am hoping the members here can help me with. It is a 1978 Ford Mustang II body and rear end that we are going to put a cobalt motor with the an AR5 transmission mated to it. My first question of many to come I am sure is how does the speedometer on the cobalt work?

Here are some pictures of the body as it sits.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
There's a VSS on the output shaft of the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The automatic transmission output speed sensor (VSS) is a magnetic inductive pickup that relays information relative to vehicle speed to the TCM. Vehicle speed information is used by the TCM to control shift timing, line pressure, and TCC apply and release.

The VSS mounts in the case at the speed sensor rotor which is pressed onto the differential. An air gap of 0.27-1.57 mm (0.011-0.062 in) is maintained between the sensor and the teeth on the speed sensor rotor. The sensor consists of a permanent magnet surrounded by a coil of wire. As the differential rotates, an AC signal is induced in the VSS. Higher vehicle speeds induce a higher frequency and voltage measurement at the sensor.

Sensor resistance should be 1500-1650 ohms when measured at 20°C (68°F). Output voltage will vary with speed from a minimum of 0.5 volts AC at 25 RPM to 200 volts AC at 1728 RPM.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Same thing only the signal goes directly to the "ECM", processed then sent to the instrument panel via GMLan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While I fully respect your right to pursue your project, I've got to ask, are you high? What would possess a person to take an antique car and adapt a modern, computerized engine into it? Unless you have some serious engineering credentials, I fear that this project is going to eat you for lunch. But even if you are successful, what's the point? You could take the money you're going to sink into this project and get a really nice Cobalt or a really nice Mustang, but instead you're going to have a one-of-a-kind that won't be as reliable as either one, and will likely require continuous re-engineering. When you go to sell it, you're going to have to find someone who shares your vision (if such a person exists). I hate to burst your bubble, but I think you'd be better building a Stang or a Balt, rather than a hybrid.

First thing to do is strip and restore that Mustang body, that will give you plenty of time to come up with a powertrain design. Hell maybe by then you'll come upon a scrapped newer Mustang that you can gut.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Built Ford tough with GM parts. I think you and your dad have a great project on your hands. Even if it never sees light, think of all the bonding time you will spend with your dad. The stories you'll remember and be able to tell. A project like has to be seen as a hobby and not a job.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The mustang 2's aren't real mustangs so do whatever you want with it. In those years the damn 302 only made like 110hp. I like unique projects so keep doing what you're doing.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Last thing I'd wanna do to an old car. buy a big ol crate engine and put a big ass blower on it :p
Its a stang 2. Not worth the big engine

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would love to have a project car but first I have to buy a house with a garage. Eventually that will happen. Good luck to you and your dad.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think we have the credentials to figure the project out being that I am a senior in mechanical engineering and my dad is a mechanical engineer. The project came about because we had the empty body sitting in the driveway from a previous project. The cobalt engine came about because of the reliability the ecotec is know and we wanted a modern engine for the gas mileage. This is going to be dads daily driver when its finished.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you are going to run the Ecotec just make sure you pull all the CPUs from the donor car. ECM, BCM, RKE, EBCM, TCM, TDM and all the sensors too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats what I am looking for a wrecked cobalt for. Will an automatic engine work if we go manual with the new setup?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Might even need the Cobalt cluster.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------
Thats what I am looking for a wrecked cobalt for. Will an automatic engine work if we go manual with the new setup?
Yep, better, you won't need to worry about TCM.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

You might have to change the reluctor ring on the tail shaft to match the speed sensor. Do you guys have milling machines, CNC and lathes?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.