Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 2005-2007 Cobalt and 2007 G5 have ignition switches that can turn the key to the off position without warning.

They have faulty ignition switches that can loosen if there is "added weight" on the key chain or from shaking when driven over a bumpy road. As a result, the key could inadvertently switch to the off position, which would then disable all power assists and any safety features, such as airbags.

Dealers will replace the ignition switch for free.

Until this repair can be made, remove unessential items from your keychain.

Owners can call Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020

Source

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've never had any problems with my ignition, but I won't turn down a free fix for something that could result in injury to person or vehicle. If wait lists are involved, I might just wait a few months until I drop by

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Hello everyone,

If you haven't already reached out to your dealerships regarding the recent recall notice, please feel free to reach out to us if we can answer any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Amber N. (assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello everyone,

If you haven't already reached out to your dealerships regarding the recent recall notice, please feel free to reach out to us if we can answer any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Amber N. (assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
i just emailed my dealer in muskegon mi. and they told me my cobalt was not on the recall list i have a 2006 car. right in the middle of the years in question. so what gives? below is the email i sent and got back i gave my vin to her and this is what she said. so customer service tell me what is going on here? here is the vin 1g1aL55f867722153

Re: 2006 Cobalt

Jodi Clark
Today at 3:44 PM

To

bob p

I will put your name on the list Bob, it could be that GM has not updated the site quite yet, at this time we are placing names on a list, and checking periodically to see if it shows up. We will then contact you when it shows up on the GM site. Until it is on that sight we cannot do anything.The recall is still new and not all systems are updated. I will contact you once the recall shows up. You may continue to check with us as well. My direct line is 231-759-5774 and I will be more than happy to keep you posted.

Thank you,

Jodi Clark

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM, bob p <[email protected]> wrote:

how is it they said the cobalt's are going to be recalled for the key switch from 2005 to 2007. and i have the 2006 in the middle so how is it my car will not be in the recall? thanks

To: bob p <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: 2006 Cobalt

Bob,

Thank you for the information, your vehicle is not included in the recall for the cobalts. Let me know if you still need to schedule an appointment for any service work.

Jodi Clark

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM, bob p <[email protected]> wrote:

here is the vin
1g1aL55f867722153

if the car is in the recall i can change the parts providing the car doesn't have to be reprogrammed again. if i need to bring it in fridays or saturday is better, i work thirds shift and sleep days. thanks bob palmer.

To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 10:03 AM
Subject: 2006 Cobalt

Hello Bob,

I received your email on the 2006 Cobalt. I will need your VIN number to see if your car is involved in the recall. You can find it on your insurance card, registration or on your dash where your window on driverside meets the hood of the car. Please get back to me either email or my direct line below to find out more information. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

I called my dealer and they said they haven't even gotten. The paperwork in yet so they can't do anything till next week sometime

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
so why is it everyone in the country knows about this but the dealers? sounds like they are stalling again. like they did when the problem started.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Hi corvairbob,

Sorry if there's been any confusion with your dealership. All Cobalt models spanning from 2005-2007 are included in the recall. There has been a delay with updating the system to link VINs to the recall, so that might be the reason your dealership responded that way.

We are working with our suppliers to expedite the availability of parts. We expect to have parts available beginning in April. Customers will receive a letter in early April. If you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to let me know.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Hi sLAsh,

Please feel free to reach out to GM of Canada regarding your concern. Their number is 800-263-3777. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Is the recall also for Canada?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Didn't know we had Chevy CS rep right here amongst the crew - nice resource and thanks Kristen for being there to assist.

I'm not the original owner of our 06 Cobalt, but did register VIN on GM's website...is there anything else needed to ensure we get notifications of these safety issues?

V/r,
Tim

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Iceman62,

Yes, we are here to assist. When you register your vehicle in Owners Center, you can check for open recalls associated to your VIN. It is updated daily but may take time to show hem recall information. We can also check your VIN as well if you send us a private message. As long as you are registered through the DMV as well, you should begin to receive safety notifications.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm going to call Rick Hendrick Chevy next week to see if I can get my LS in the shop and get it taken care of.... has anyone got theirs fixed yet? NVM I jsut read the whole thread.... looks like I'll be headed to the dealer in april.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i see they now have the hhr and the saturun what ion included in the recall 1.6 million cars in all so i expect this to take some time. most likely april or later. they still have to manufacture new and improved unit to install. it better be a complete lock cylinder and not some funky device that fits over the key so it will not turn. or some lever that you have to pull or push to turn the key like in the 70's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Parts available in April? When in April??? My mom is making a trip from Ohio to Georgia in April. Her dealership is yanking her around just like everyone else on this post is being yanked. No joke, if anything happens to my mom on her trip because the local dealership is yanking her around, it will NOT be pretty. And my lawyer is scary if hes not on your side. My 06 Balt will prob be included in this, but as its sitting parked with a hell of a knock (after 2+ years), not worried about it just yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Hi teri2280,

We understand your frustrations. Please feel free to send us a private message with any questions or concerns that you may have about the Ignition Switch Recall. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
148 Posts
got to understand the company that makes these must be swamped 1.6 plus million parts to make plus normal production for cars being mead now. patience the people making these must be working 24-7 not everyone has a cushy 9-5 job and weekends off. plus they do need to find the people taht need them, remember some cars are not with the original owners anymore and that to takes time. if your worried just take the key of the ring and use it by itself or tape it to the ign to keep it from turning off by itself.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Its pretty easy to find the people the own 05-07 Cobalts, HHRs, G5s, and the recalled cars. As long as the car is registered that is how they will find it, through the DMV system.

·
Registered
340 Posts
After registering my daughter's 06 LS online (Chevy & GM sites) + communicating with Chevy Customer Service, we're still waiting for GM to catch-up. Just need to give them time to get this recall set-up and processing...I'm sure it takes time to coord. Unless your ignition switch is acting-up, or you've got 10-lbs of bling on your keychain, just wait it out and GM will get their distro. out to owners.

·
Registered
148 Posts
just what i said. you have to remember it is 1.6 million cars and no they just don't know where they all are. i got a recall for the hyundia sonata i traded for my cruze last year so they just don't know. to make sure the new owner got that notice i sent an email to the selling dealer and they said they would pass it on. so don't assume gm just knows. the dmv just doesn't know either. and like i said before factory people are still making ign. switches for new cars and now they have to make 1.6 mil more for the old cars, give em a chance to do it. and if your so worried take the key off the ring and use it alone in the ign. or tape it in the on position.

1 - 20 of 354 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.