Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! I'm new to this forum, this is my first post. I don't spend a whole lot of time on forums, but I haven't been able to find anything on any site similar to the issue I'm experiencing and I figured a cobalt forum is a great place to start asking questions.

I have a 2005 Cobalt LS w/ a 5 speed manual. Ended up buying it as a commuter when I left for college because my old Jeep just didn't like the highway and it LOVED gasoline a little more than I liked buying it. This was more economical and I've had the car for a little over a year now. So far, it's been reliable and cheap to run. I haven't had any issues with the car, but I've had some annoyances with it that I'm looking to eliminate.

Since I got it, the gearshift has been incredibly loose. It didn't bother me because it was my first manual vehicle and I didn't think much of it. After my girlfriend bought her '98 Sentra with a 5 speed, I was immediately envious of her car's shifter. It's way more crisp and precise than the one in my cobalt. Mine has a few inches of play each direction while in gear.

I took the boot off and this ball has a lot of play in it. It doesn't fit snugly and it's loose.(This is not a photo of my cobalt, I will upload a video soon)

My impression would be that the shifter is worn out as the plastic material is worn down and causing this. If so, can anyone shed some light?

Any ideas? Thanks!!

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Yeah it's a good possibility. You can easily change that.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
We have a thread going on about the same thing on CSS, I think I'm just going to shim it with small pieces of plastic until it's snug. I'm trying to convince the guy to buy the SS shifter housing and try it because if it works I'm going to get that for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.