Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought id post this story up for ppl that havent seen it, since i just read a thread of someone racing w/ his girlfriend in the car. First id like to point out that i street race, i watch street racing on the weekend, and am in no way giving the "street racing FTL" bullshit. Im simply making it come to ppls attention that street w/ passengers in the car, especially ppl close to u, is ignorant as hell.

Story 1 (Brandon Lee Ferguson):

CONROE, Texas (Map, News) -
A southeast Texas jury has sentenced a 23-year-old man to 15 years in prison for manslaughter in the deaths of five people in a January 2009 traffic accident.

Authorities say Brandon Lee Ferguson of Pinehurst was speeding at 117 mph down Texas 249 in Montgomery County, north of Houston, when his car slammed into a van. Killed in the fiery crash were the husband, parents and uncle of the van's driver, Karla Sexton. Also killed was Ferguson's lone passenger, 18-year-old girlfriend Kayla Pratorius of Magnolia.

The jury took 30 minutes Thursday to find Ferguson guilty of five counts of manslaughter, as well as one of aggravated assault relating to injuries to Sexton, of Broken Arrow, Okla. The same jury sentenced Ferguson on Friday. He could have received a 20-year prison term under the law.

Story 2 (Brandon Lee Ferguson):

(Conroe) -- Jurors took only 30-minutes to find a man guilty in 5 street racing deaths, after getting a look at the mangled car that wiped out a family.

Jurors were led outside the courthouse, where a flatbed wrecker was parked with a modified Chevy Cobalt racing car that was driven by Brandon Lee Ferguson, 23, one year ago.

Accident investigators say he was racing a motorcycle at 135 miles an hour when his race car slammed into the side of a van, carrying a family of volunteers who worked tirelessly to build churches in their final days. The crash also killed his girlfriend in his own passenger seat.

·
Registered
547 Posts
and this is why we don't race
I agree, I feel very lucky that I never hurt anyone when I was younger because I used to drive like a stupid fool in my late teens early twenties.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Everyone does it when they're young, some people don't grow out of it. Everyone has done it at some point or another. There will always be people racing.

/ of story.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
and am in no way giving the "street racing FTL" bullshit. Im simply making it come to ppls attention that street w/ passengers in the car, especially ppl close to u, is ignorant as hell.
OK, so say no one close to you is in the car.... What about them if you get yourself killed, yeah, it's your life, but it's theirs too. I don't care who you are. SOMEONE loves you, and values your life.

This is especially true if you are married, or have children.

Why not take it to a track?

·
Registered
867 Posts
OK, so say no one close to you is in the car.... What about them if you get yourself killed, yeah, it's your life, but it's theirs too. I don't care who you are. SOMEONE loves you, and values your life.

This is especially true if you are married, or have children.

Why not take it to a track?
what if you be the punisher like in your avatar lol oh but wait even he has old cop and military buddies, idk just felt like randomly sharing, getting in the way and making a big mess:amuse:

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
My point is that your life is not just yours. What you do to and with yourself effects others.

It took me a long time to learn that there is nothing worse than dying for something totally stupid, to end up a wasted life.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I thought id post this story up for ppl that havent seen it, since i just read a thread of someone racing w/ his girlfriend in the car. First id like to point out that i street race, i watch street racing on the weekend, and am in no way giving the "street racing FTL" bullshit. Im simply making it come to ppls attention that street w/ passengers in the car, especially ppl close to u, is ignorant as hell.
I gotta agree with will, I'm not here to flame you its just to point out that yeah its dumb to put other peoples lives at risk by them being in your car cause you will affect their family and such, but its just as bad if you kill yourself. your affecting so many peoples lives...honestly that is why I think suicide is the most selfish thing you can do, but just getting in my .02 cents

·
Registered
867 Posts
i know and see your point and it is a very good one in my opinion, i just wanted to like i said, get in the way and make a big mess, sorry if i took any seriousness away from what you were trying to say, but i do agree with you

·
Registered
241 Posts
what Will had to say is the truth. someone somewhere loves you and if you race even if no one is around you it could end up hurting you or killing you. Also even if ur racing another car chances are one mistake could take out you and a whole lot of other people even though you may think your only about to kill yourself in the worst case senario which isn't true.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I had a friend like this who was street racing around the mall here. steering shaft broke and he slammed into a pole killing him and 2 other people i knew. This is why I don't race anymore. I'll have a little fun sometimes but never above 80 on the highway. After seeing my friend's grave this past month for his 2 year anniversary i realized how pointless and stupid it really is. TAKE IT TO THE TRACK!

·
Registered
15 Posts
i race but i dont street race i do autocross on race tracks its fun as hell wen ur in a stock car keepin up to ppl with crazy horse power

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

ok? 10 people died today alone here in random accidents... Sad yes, but happens errryday
its sad but things happen but the thing is dont get caught street racein

·
Registered
280 Posts
Silly people... racing with extra people means extra weight! How dumb is that?

·
Registered
931 Posts
being a firefighter ive seen more people killed or seriously messed up from car wrecks... i seen some graphic shit... alls iove got to say about the whole street racing thing.. seeing what happebneds when shit goes wrong... its not worth your life to prove uer car is faster... take it to the track...

i used to be a big time street racer... not anymore...

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Some points to remember on this thread:
1. True about even if you get hurt or killed, someone cares for you. Or worst case you get in a wreck and dont die but become a vegetable and your family goes bankrupt caring for you. I had a friend in the Fall of 1987 fall asleep at the wheel, he finally died in the early 2000's after his family lost almost everything to take care of him, and his parents divorced due to the stress and other factors relating.

2. Law enforcement monitor sights like these to find people who brag about street racing and look for pics of cars to watach out for and target, even when you arent street racing; have friends that work for LEAs and do this.

3. Who would want to street race anyway with the known steering issues with the Cobalts?? Wreck just waiting to happen, check out the recall thread to see pics of a Cobalt wrecked in a parking lot due to the sterring issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.