Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my son was entering a Busy Intersection tonight his 2007 Colbalt shutdown again. Last time this happened (couple months back) a the GM dealer charged us $400 and assured us that they fixed the Problem, I Say "BS" My son almost got T-boned this time as his car ground to a halt in the middle of the intersection. It appears to me that these cars are Dangerous but I guess someone needs to be killed before any action will by taken by GM. Guess I need to call the NSTB AGAIN!!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Take it back to the gm dealer.....if you don't get resolution then call customer service

Telephone
Your vehicle concerns are important to us. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or feedback. To better address your comments and concerns, Customer Assistance centers are open Monday through Saturday, from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time). New Vehicle Purchase Information centers are open Monday – Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time) and Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
From inside the U.S.
Customer Assistance - 1.800-222-1020
From inside Canada
1-800-263-3777 (English)
1-800-263-7854 (Français)

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
If you would like to work with Customer Assistance, please send me a private message with more information. I can get a case set up for you and we'll help you work with a dealership towards getting this diagnosed.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These cars have a major Problem just look on net. Google COBALT TOTAL ENGINE SHUTDOWN and read the stories.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you would like to work with Customer Assistance, please send me a private message with more information. I can get a case set up for you and we'll help you work with a dealership towards getting this diagnosed.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
My girlfriends car has now shut down over 20 times in the past month. This is getting dangerous. She is on a very tight budget and cannot afford to have a dealer jerk her around and charge money for a problem that is well documented as a Chevrolet issue. What can you do for me?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If the car shuts down and even the dome light won't come on you have a bad battery. Dome light is totally seperate from ignition

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
My girlfriends car has now shut down over 20 times in the past month. This is getting dangerous. She is on a very tight budget and cannot afford to have a dealer jerk her around and charge money for a problem that is well documented as a Chevrolet issue. What can you do for me?
I understand needing to use available resources efficiently. I can assist by doing the following:
1) With the last 8 digits of your girlfriend's VIN, I can look into our systems to see if there is an open safety recall associated to her specific vehicle (recall parameters are coded to VIN numbers for factors like production date and place).
2) I could assist in getting a dealership diagnostic appointment set up. Depending on different factors, this would likely involve a diagnostic fee. I would be happy to call them in advance to get that information ahead of time.

Overall, I would encourage your girlfriend to either get in touch with me here through a private message, or to even call Customer Assistance Center at 800-222-1020.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been to two different dealers and and after spending $400+ . I still get the same answer nothing is wrong with the car "IT IS NOT THROWING ANY CODES, WE CAN'T HELP YOU!!!", but it shutdown twice on me yesterday within one mile both times it started right back up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt and over the past two weeks, my car has been idling down to less than 500 RPM and completely stalling out. This only happens when I am slowing down or stopping. It totally shuts down and I have to put it in neutral and restart it. Only twice now it wouldn't start and I would have to turn the key off, put it in park and wait about 10 minutes.

I almost got rear-ended trying to pull out from dropping my kids off this morning when it died!!! I have been putting the car in neutral when I am getting ready to slow down/stop and rev the engine to 1000-1500 RPMs to keep the engine running. This is getting very frustrating.... any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
This is not a total shut down just engine stalling out. Dirty throttle body, also you might want to change your air filter if it's been a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gotta ask, how many of these cars that are shutting down are Auto and how many are stick shift? Reason I ask is that my old Dodge Daytona had a speed sensor. Early 80's had it in line with the speed cable and later years was on the tranny. It was stick so when driving say 40 MPH and I shifted to neutral the engines idle speed would drop to 500 and sometimes stall, especially if I hit the brakes. Now on Auto's or if I left in in gear it wouldn't until I popped it out of gear at a really low speed. My speed sensor was bad. The speed sensor tells the computer that the car was running and popped the idle speed to 1000 or 1100 and when the car barely came to a stop the speed would then drop to 750 with no problems. The autos wouldn't do this (stall) as easily because the tranny kept the engine turning. My car stalled, I'd stop restart it and rev it and it ran fine, then drive it and it would do it again. Just a thought, I don't know the cobalts very well, just my Dodge Daytona and chryslers Fuel Injection.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine's an automatic. Hasn't happened again since the dealer put those additional ground wires on the TCM & ECM in November.

Thanks for your info about the speed sensor. Most of the lingo is over my head. :unsure:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.