Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 cobalt ls wants to stall every time I stop!! Lights flicker also when I stop...changed spark plugs & air filter. Please help!!! I've had nothing but problems with this car since I bought it brand new :'(

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If lights flicker, you probably have a loose battery connection, or alternator.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you lose power to your ECU or to your spark plugs it will.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Or maybe your lights are flickering because idle gets so low that alternator is not charging and voltage drops. In this case I would clean the intake around butterfly (throttle plate). There is a thread covering how to.....

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
My 2005 cobalt ls wants to stall every time I stop!! Lights flicker also when I stop...changed spark plugs & air filter. Please help!!! I've had nothing but problems with this car since I bought it brand new :'(
I am already seeing some great feedback here. If you decide to work with a dealership towards diagnosing this, please let me know!

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do you feel any sort of misfire coming from your car? (Mine has had a misfire issue for a year, and I can tell you exactly when it does it because I feel it when I'm sitting there in the drivers seat.)

A year ago, I was exactly where you are now. A stalling issue that gave no codes whatsoever (although it ALWAYS started right back up). We changed the fuel filter (hubby guessed on that one), and for about 2 days there was no stalling. She FINALLY threw a code (I can't remember when, but I know it was at least a month later) for random misfire (or multiple, or whatever it is....I have it all written down somewhere but don't feel like digging for it lol). My hubby works at a body shop that has all kinds of scanners and stuff, and we were able to determine that the misfires were only on 2 of the 4 cylinders (again, not sure which 2), so we changed all 4 plugs with autolites. I would have preferred AC Delco's, but the local dealership was already closed for the day at this point, and if the issue could be fixed relatively quickly, I was all for it.
Not fixed. A few weeks later, the CEL came back on. The hubby was tired of messing with it, so we took it into a mechanic (local, not GM). Mechanic diagnosed it with alldata and determined it needed a new coil pack. A few weeks later it was STILL doing it, and alldata pointed to new injectors. Still nothing. Mechanic and I started wondering if the autolite plugs we'd put in were just junk from the factory, so he put in AC Delcos. Still nothing, although she finally did stop stalling and acting like stalling (BUT the weather got warmer).
All summer, I have had zero stalling issues, but my CEL will come on for a while and then go off. My hubby has a cheaper scanner that I've confiscated to just keep in my car. The code has always been the misfire code. There are a few times that the misfire has been so bad that the whole car kinda shakes from front to back, but it's only when I'm at a stop, and throwing it in neutral corrects it. A few weeks ago, around the time that it was only 40-50 degrees out at night in my area, she started acting like she wanted to stall, but hasn't gone that far. I have a feeling that here in about a week when the avg. high in Ohio is about 30, she'll be stalling out constantly, and with the nice bonus/overtime check I'll be getting from work, I'm going to cave and take her into GM service. :-(

Sorry this is so long, and hopefully your stalling issue won't cause you the headaches that mine's caused me, but if you get any codes, look out, and in all honesty, just take it to Chevy. I've probably spent as much already as I would have had I just taken her to the dealership in the first place.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Im dealing with a similar issue. Stalling when coming to a stop/rough idling as well as occasionally having the whole engine seem to "hiccup" while Im stopped, causing it to shake for a second or two.

I get a CEL from time to time, but it never stays long enough for me to get somewhere to have it scanned so I still dont know what its for.

I changed my oil, cleaned my air filter, cleaned my throttle body, seafoamed in the oil/gas/vacuum line and then replaced my spark plugs with ac delcos. Its only been a day, but it seems like it didnt fix the issue. Ill have to see if I can get the code long enough to see if its for a misfire.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Im dealing with a similar issue. Stalling when coming to a stop/rough idling as well as occasionally having the whole engine seem to "hiccup" while Im stopped, causing it to shake for a second or two.

I get a CEL from time to time, but it never stays long enough for me to get somewhere to have it scanned so I still dont know what its for.

I changed my oil, cleaned my air filter, cleaned my throttle body, seafoamed in the oil/gas/vacuum line and then replaced my spark plugs with ac delcos. Its only been a day, but it seems like it didnt fix the issue. Ill have to see if I can get the code long enough to see if its for a misfire.
As long as you didn't have the code manually cleared, it should still be stored. Basically, if it is a misfire, it misfires so many time in a

Sounds like you've got the same issues I do. :-( (Trust me, it's NOT fun.) My mechanic said my next step was replacing the ECM. NOT something I'm looking forward to. When your car is running at normal temperature, stick it in park (when you get home or something), and listen to the hiccup noise coming out of your exhaust. My misfire sounds almost metallic when it's coming out the tailpipe.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Spoke to a mechanic buddy of my husband's. Said it could be something in the timing (belt, I THINK...I had a few beers in me at the time the hubby and his bud were talking about it). Any other thoughts on this one??

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well the Cobalt doesn't have a timing belt it has a timing chain, so much for that theory. But you could have a bad MAF sensor.

I once had a hair that somehow made it through the air filter and wrapped itself around the MAF tightwire that was causing me similar symptoms. I took it apart cleaned it carefully and replaced it and it worked good ever since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have the same problem but i took it to autozone and had the codes read they told me it was oxygen sensors and the car was running cold.i haven't done anything yet because i don't have a lot of money and i dont want to change parts that dont need to be changed.my car don't misfire though it idles so low that it dies but it does this at every stop.sometimes when i start the car it wont stay running unless i hold my foot on the gas,this is how i've been driving so it won't die i keep my foot on the gas to keep the idle above 500 rpm

·
Registered
14 Posts
i cleaned the throttle body by taking it off and i messed up a little.while cleaning i figured i would unscrew the flap but it wouldn't come out without taking the throttle body apart so i tightened the screws back then continued cleaning. after i got it all back together it ran fine for a few seconds then it idled really rough then died and it said engine disabled.i then called the dealer and they said to bring it in but i don't have the $400 they were saying it would cost so i took the throttle body back off because that never happened till i messed with that and sure enough the flap was getting stuck.after repositioning the flap its running great.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The sad thing is that there's WAY to many causes for these problems, and what doesn't work for one of us might work for the other. Spoke to another mech. buddy of the hubby's, and they said that between everything I've already tried (new plugs x2, new fuel filter, new coil pack, new injectors, seafoam, new throttle body, cleaned MAF sensor), plus every other possibility (burned valves, slipped timing belt/chain/whatever, bad parts from the factory on what I've already done, ICM going out, ECM), it'll probably be a WHILE before we can actually pinpoint it. :-( I'm just hoping she doesn't actually stall out on me this winter (been lucky so far, although every morning she acts like she wants to) til this summer when I can trade her in on a CRV.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
CRV? Have you driven one? OUTLANDER SPORT maybe or a RAV4...

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

i cleaned the throttle body by taking it off after repositioning the flap its running great.
So did this solve your stalling problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
same problems, possible solution

Have any of you with this problem checked your air filter? I have been having this same problem with the stalling when stopping, lights dimming, hesitations... I replaced my air filter at one point, and maybe a few months later when we were still trying to figure it out my boyfriend re-opened the air filter box (even though I rolled my eyes because I had just changed it) and it was almost completely saturated in oil! basically my valve cover is leaking oil!we are going to first try replacing the gasket and cleaning everything thoroughly, but I figured I'd suggest taking a deeper look throughout the air system. I was having problems before changing the air filter the first time, so i think it just took a while for the oil to get into that part. I will let you know how our experiment goes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wish it were that simple for me. Had the air filter changed at my last oil change. Nothing. She hasn't stalled out on me yet this winter yet though. :) Another couple weeks and the hubby's mechanic buddy is gonna take a look at her. I can still feel her misfiring. Doesn't seem quite as bad as it was last year (esp. since there's no stalling, but it has been unseasonably warm this year), at least. I'm sure it would be covered under the emissions warranty, but Ohio doesn't require emissions testing yet, and to qualify for that warranty you have to fail an emissions test. Is it sad that I wish I could fail one? LOL.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm so glad I found this topic. I was just about to start one with the same issue. Car runs fine, but everytime I stop at a red light it starts to wanna die/stall on me. RPM meter will dip below 500 for a split second and you can hear the engine wanna crap out as it happens. Lights on my dash and headlights will dim and go back to normal on and on as this is happening as well. The other day the car literally stalled completely twice on me from this. Had the check engine light once but it didn't stay on long enough for me to scan what was wrong with it at my dads work (literally like, 4 hours later the light wasn't on anymore). At least now by reading this thread I've got a few ideas for what to troubleshoot. Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm so glad I found this topic. I was just about to start one with the same issue. Car runs fine, but everytime I stop at a red light it starts to wanna die/stall on me. RPM meter will dip below 500 for a split second and you can hear the engine wanna crap out as it happens. Lights on my dash and headlights will dim and go back to normal on and on as this is happening as well. The other day the car literally stalled completely twice on me from this. Had the check engine light once but it didn't stay on long enough for me to scan what was wrong with it at my dads work (literally like, 4 hours later the light wasn't on anymore). At least now by reading this thread I've got a few ideas for what to troubleshoot. Thanks.
Ugh. Seems like this is a more common problem than what I originally thought. I SO feel for you Crucial. Unfortunately, like I stated earlier, what might work for you might not for me. I saw someone on here when this first started on my car who just cleaned his throttle body and was able to correct it. I replaced my entire throttle body (after cleaning it, of course) and it didn't do a thing.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

The only good thing on mine (before my current issues anyway lol - she's parked - running louder than the 72 pickup the hubby is restoring) was that she only stalled on me when it was super cold (20s or less), and when she did, she ALWAYS started right back up. As mild of a winter as we've had, she hasn't stalled once this year. Acted like it a few times, but never gone all the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 06 cobalt had this same exact symptom. Come to a stop and almost die, also lights flickering and occasional check engine light. I removed the intake tube and cleaned the throttle body/MAF sensor with some throttle body cleaner and haven"t had a problem since.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.