Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove to work and everything was gravy,had to leave work to go to the bank and it wouldn't turn over. I have all the dash lights on like usual but when I go to start it......nothing,not even a click. My stereo isn't turning on either....if that helps.
1)battery good
2)fuses good,even the big bastard in the trunk.

it does make small click that comes from behind the dash but I think that's normal.
So now I'm stuck at work but scheduled a tow from Verizon at 7. If someone can give me something to go on when I get home tonight that would be great.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
anyway for you to check battery voltage?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you check the 2 BCM fuses in the underhood fuse block. 30 and 40 amp square fuses at the back. If these burn while driving engine won't die but if you stop your car it won't start-up again because one of these fuses supplies crank relay.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Continuity on all of the above.....

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
What about your boost post? Is it tight? Any corrosion at the base where the two lugs attach?

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Radio not coming on should be a clue but not sure how!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that its dark,the dome light isn't working either. and my code reader isn't connecting either. I'll check post.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery definitely not dead.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Tested just about everything....I'm done! It's getting loaded on the flatbed now headed to the stealership! At least I have a guy on the inside!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Broken ground between engine and "ECM"

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bingo,service writer just called me.Where was that answer $119 ago,lol? If I had more time and actually had a day off I probably could of tracked it down myself! I'm just happy its fixed,thanks for the help everyone! Just in time for my new muffler too,UPS says it should be here tomorrow which is my half day of meetings. Just gotta cut off the ol' magnaflow and weld on the new borla xs!

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

P.S. this has been the first time that anyone has ever done work to my car besides me. I'm a hands on DIY'r 99% of the time,I was just in a pinch.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
So what was the problem exactly?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just picked up my car and they showed me what it was......it wasn't exactly what you said but close. The wire that goes from battery to the bcm fuse,at about the halfway point of that cable it has a metal connection that had corrosion on it and it eventually broke so they just replaced the wire and BAM,back on the road. Not sure how it happened because my car doesn't have a single spot of rust or corrosion anywhere else,not even any of the wires that were around the one they replaced including terminals. So that's pretty strange that it happened in that single spot alone. It took them 2 hours to pinpoint the problem and a $20 wire to fix it. My dude only charged me an hour and $20 for parts,for 119.00 I'm a happy camper.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
2)fuses good,even the big bastard in the trunk.
So to quote you the big bastard fuse in the trunk was good just not the wire carrying it. lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Affirmative,I was so close I should of been able to hear it laughing at me!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.