Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.. im new to the forum and just bought myself some eibach sportsline springs for my cobalt.. and was wondering whether the cobalt had struts or shocks.. or both, because im abround the 30,000 mile mark nd was told that id have to change them soon... sry for bothering u guys but just wondring..

Btw.. Cobalts rule... end of story

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
hey guys.. im new to the forum and just bought myself some eibach sportsline springs for my cobalt.. and was wondering whether the cobalt had struts or shocks.. or both, because im abround the 30,000 mile mark nd was told that id have to change them soon... sry for bothering u guys but just wondring..

Btw.. Cobalts rule... end of story
HI & WELCOME TO YC!

depends... i mean, you MAY not have to change them *YET*, mine have been going good for 26000 miles & over 20000 of those miles have been lowered... cobalts have struts in the front & idk what its called in the back, but they're not struts... if that makes any sence, lol...

and ur no bother & yes-cobalts ftw! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Leave it to Lo-Balt to be all over the suspension thread mwhaha jk jk one love lo-balt

·
Registered
464 Posts
My car has over 80,000 miles about 20,000 of those are lowered still on the stock shocks and struts.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Struts up front shocks in the rear.. I have 40K. 20k of which i have been lowered on stock struts/shocks

·
Registered
618 Posts
what kind of ride quality is there with lowered springs? my balt has 61k on it and I think when I change struts and shocks Ill lower it or am I better off getting coilovers?

·
Registered
567 Posts
cobalts have struts in the front & idk what its called in the back
That would be called a loaded beam axle......FYI

·
Registered
248 Posts
i have a question guys!

im fixing to get the eibachs soon myself and when the struts get messed up and you have to get new ones do you simply get the same ones that came on the car or do you get some special aftermarket ones that are ment for lowered cars?

and btw do the eibachs fit a sedan?

·
Registered
618 Posts
i have a question guys!

im fixing to get the eibachs soon myself and when the struts get messed up and you have to get new ones do you simply get the same ones that came on the car or do you get some special aftermarket ones that are ment for lowered cars?

and btw do the eibachs fit a sedan?
thats the same ? i asked!! lol

·
Registered
618 Posts
Its either or.....coilovers or lowering springs and shocks..........BUT coilovers allow you to adjust the settings of the front suspension as far as stiffer or softer.....travel that sort of thing.......coilovers are a bit more pricey but are a better bet if you are gonna replace it all.....Id like to know about ride quality for our cars with springs or coilovers on tho

·
Registered
248 Posts
Its either or.....coilovers or lowering springs and shocks..........BUT coilovers allow you to adjust the settings of the front suspension as far as stiffer or softer.....travel that sort of thing.......coilovers are a bit more pricey but are a better bet if you are gonna replace it all.....Id like to know about ride quality for our cars with springs or coilovers on tho
oh ok...gotcha...

well i wouldt know but i bet its a nice ride...

i got this kid friend with a cobalt...the kid is 16 and gets what he wants pretty much and hes a big fan of slamming the crap out of cars...the only thing is hes just a kid so with that comes impatience and inexperience so the fool went out and heated the springs on his balt...sigh anyway...i got to ride in it and is not bad at all considering her lowered it the WRONG way therefor im guessing if you lower it the correct way and buy lowering springs and whatnot you just gotta have a nice ride :)...i think lol

but eh i bet ya later on my friends balt wont be that great of a ride though.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
thnx man appreciate it a lot! :)
No problem! But im not a man... :laugh:

Leave it to Lo-Balt to be all over the suspension thread mwhaha jk jk one love lo-balt
:laugh: well no1 else answered & i guess i somewhat know what im talking about... notice i said "somewhat" hahahahaha :amuse:

what kind of ride quality is there with lowered springs? my balt has 61k on it and I think when I change struts and shocks Ill lower it or am I better off getting coilovers?
coilovers are a waste of money IMO (unless you need them for HARDCORE performance)... you can spend pretty much the SAME amount & get airride... if you just want a drop get springs... ride quality will be stiffer, but not HORRIBLE... ive rode in a cavalier w/ coilovers and its a bit stiffer than springs, but it still tends to have a bounce to it... but if you're going to change your whole set up... hmm... idk... maybe still just go w/ springs & new struts... if it was ME personally, id go for air, but i guess you'd have to figure up which one would fit what you wanna do... do you want a big drop, little drop, spend more/less money... you'd be happy w/ either tho & the ride quality is similar... if that made ANY sence at all... hahahaha

THAT'S IT!!! I knew it was something like that but for the life of me, I couldnt remember it! Thanks! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
low-balt hit the nail on the head.
just depends on what you're looking for out of your suspension.
if you want optimal performcance. go with coil overs.(if you plan to learn how to adjust them.)
if you just want to lower on a budget, pick your springs. and get the ss/tc shocks and struts.(OBZ hit on that)
Koni is the the only other option that im aware of for shocks and struts. they are adustable. but almost twice the money. and you have to hacksaw the fronts to get them to fit a 2.2. not worth it to me.....
you can always use springs with stock struts and shocks to lower. but EVENTUALLY you will need to upgrade your shocks and struts.
search around the suspension threads for more info. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
A friend has K sport coilovers on his 07 and its unconfertable and not smoth at all it looks great but NOT a good ride quality. After he put my springs on for me we took it for a drive he was suprised and in aw over how smoth they where compared to his. Really shocked there really is a big difference in ride quality.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
X2 coilovers are a waste of money unless you race. Once my struts go I'm just gettng the same ones used with low milage. I have konis on the back

hou may want to get a rear sway bar

·
Registered
720 Posts
Your options are:

FE1 (LS/LT...which is stock)
FE3 (stock for Cobalt SS/NA or Sport...2.4L)
FE5 (SS/SC)
LNF FE5 (SS/TC) ~$305 shipped
Monroe Sensa-Trac (not sure what these are equivalent to)
KYB GR-2 (I've heard they are equivalent to FE3 suspension) ~$205 shipped
Koni Sport (Yellow, most common of the Koni's for Cobalt's) ~$600-700
Koni Race (only if you want your Cobalt to be a race car) ~$5000 (yes, $5k).

Coilovers $800-2000 (rough estimate on price...don't know for sure, different brands, different retailers).

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you get Koni Yellow Struts/Shocks and run them with Sportlines (like the setup I have) you'll have an amazing performance and ride... you can adjust how soft or firm you want both struts and shocks and they have lifetime warranty so if they ever blow, you won't have to worry about buying new ones and get them replaced.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.