Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know the code for 05 cobalt ls im about to order a new axle assembly.
the codes options are m86 or mu3, does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Never hurts to look...LoL BTW: RPO codes M86 is the 5 speed manual tranny behind the 2.2 and 2.4, MU3 is the 5 speed manual behind the 2.0 SC

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
m86 f23 getrag 5 speed 4 lug i seriously hate parts guys they are so stupid and they get mad if you don't know what you need. douche bags. anyway, don't get the mu3. that's all you need to know

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i got it lol. i had to drive my beater up to advance auto to order my axle, so i couldnt even find a code while i was there i had to drive home and look lol but its good now

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cv joint is f-ed up. i riding on just springs, i still have stock struts/shocks and in the past month that ive had my car lowered, ive hit like 3 hard potholes, and now its grinding and everytime the wheel goes round it has like a hard clicking noise.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
one of the vendors here, or someplace online advertises having HD axles that are capable of handling high horsepower, may be a better option than a factory replacement

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

i seriously hate parts guys they are so stupid and they get mad if you don't know what you need. douche bags.
Not everyone is as knowledgable as you.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its just a 2.2, why would i need performance axles? its not like mad HP is turning my tires haha

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

It's just a 2.2, why would i need performance axles? its not like i have any serious HP turning my tires :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
They are built to a higher strength. Just like a 4 cylinder Jeep that is used for its intended purpose takes more abuse than same Jeep owned by some Yuppy that will nver use the vehicle for its intended purpose.
When you change ride height, the geometry changes and parts take more abuse due to the geometry change. Just like the low riders of past that needed tie rod ends replaced yearly when they lowered them and put 13 in wheels on a vehicle that had 15 in wheels and rode 6-10 inches higher.
I just prefer that a vehicle be built to withstand strains that I would put on the vehicle, and if I were to lower a vehicle I would install overstrength axles and some other components. Just as I have with lifting a vehicle and using vehicles for intended purposes, like my 1/2 ton Ram has 3/4 ton front springs and overload springs on the rear due to fact of the bumpers and the use of the vehicle.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah true, but its only dropped 2 inches and im not hard on it so idk lol. but thanks for the input, everythings already done ordered.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Just my preferences from other peoples experiences on lowered vehicles, and mine on lifted ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.