Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this code going about 79mph with a full car its stayed for a month then randomly cleared then recently it came back. When my laptop read it . it said p0137 bank one and bank 2 low voltage.
is it the sensor or the wiring to the sensor?
Is this why my car is eating gas like it has the munchies?
My mom drives the car and she does not have a heavy foot. She drives it to work 20 min drive and back 20 or more depending on traffic and later drives me to work 5mins we have filled it up 3 times last week completely . its an auto 05 cobalt ls and I put 87 and when she makes me proud I fill her up 89 or 93 . any suggestions ?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
So I got this code going about 79mph with a full car its stayed for a month then randomly cleared then recently it came back. When my laptop read it . it said p0137 bank one and bank 2 low voltage.
is it the sensor or the wiring to the sensor?
Only one bank on a Cobalt so that should read P0137 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2). Your Cobalt if it has no mods to the engine is tuned for 87 octane. You might find it works better with 93 but it's going to be hard on gas. When you have an HO2 sensor code the Cobalt will fall in open loop and be a lot harder on gas because it has no way of trimming fuel. You will probably need to change the downstream HO2. Believe me it will pay for itself in a few months. So don't look at it as spending money now but more as saving money down the road.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Try to stick with ACDelco or OEM.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only one bank on a Cobalt so that should read P0137 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2). Your Cobalt if it has no mods to the engine is tuned for 87 octane. You might find it works better with 93 but it's going to be hard on gas. When you have an HO2 sensor code the Cobalt will fall in open loop and be a lot harder on gas because it has no way of trimming fuel. You will probably need to change the downstream HO2. Believe me it will pay for itself in a few months. So don't look at it as spending money now but more as saving money down the road.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Try to stick with ACDelco or OEM.
So what exactly do I need to replace?

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

And I'll probably go with ac delco heard there stuff is much better
I just jack the car up and get a wrench and unplug it right?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Downstream HO2 is the one after the cat. So like the code says sensor 2.

What I did with mine is unplugged the sensor cut the wires, put a rachet to it and out it came. You can install the new one with a wrench because the wires will be in the way. Clear the code eventhough it will go away on it's own and your done.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

What I did with mine is unplugged the sensor cut the wires, put a rachet to it and out it came. You can install the new one with a wrench because the wires will be in the way. Clear the code eventhough it will go away on it's own and your done.
Alright thanks for the info

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

And what's the part #

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the threat of sounding like Captain Obvious, make sure the exhaust cools off for a few minutes before working on it, you don't want to get burned.

In my experience, those buggers can sometimes be a pain to unbolt. You might need a torch.

Lol I know and sadly said my baby just sits there all day every day unless my mom wants to feel like a teen then she takes it of blasts the radio and speeds of like a NASCAR lol. She blew my front ones again T_T

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
And what's the part #
It's year and engine dependant so need more info...

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Probably #12578576. Crosscheck with your VIN

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That VIN only has 15 digits

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

2 digits missing, you need 17

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
So I guess yours takes a different one. Call a dealer with VIN, they should know.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled... GM parts direct doesn't list a second HO2 sensor for your car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.