Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm considering coilovers or springs for my LT. Which makes me sense in the long run? If I get springs I'm getting sportlines for about $225. How much more expensive are coilovers, plus take into account that I probably won't be able to install coilovers myself. Also, if I eventually need new struts and shocks with the springs, would I be better off just buying coilovers now, or get springs shocks and struts over the next year?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Right now I'm considering coilovers or springs for my LT. Which makes me sense in the long run? If I get springs I'm getting sportlines for about $225. How much more expensive are coilovers, plus take into account that I probably won't be able to install coilovers myself. Also, if I eventually need new struts and shocks with the springs, would I be better off just buying coilovers now, or get springs shocks and struts over the next year?
If you race you better get coilovers
If you are lowering just for look get springs
coilovers are alot more expensive than spring - about 900 to 1100

·
Registered
869 Posts
How many miles on your car? If your at a point where its a good idea to get shocks then id get coilovers. You wont be able to install springs yourself either unless you have a compressor at home. It would be easier to install coilovers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 43k miles, and no I don't race. I guess I'm leaning towards springs. How long should my shocks/struts last?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I have 43k miles, and no I don't race. I guess I'm leaning towards springs. How long should my shocks/struts last?
A good while. Ive heard people having springs for a couple years on stock struts and shocks.
Ive got stock struts/shocks and ive got springs.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i had sportlines for 25k miles, i had bought the FE5 setup for struts and shocks when i put them on. after the 25k miles on FE5 struts they blew.

spent over 500 dollars on that set up

then i picked up a set of Ksport Coilovers for the same price.

im dropped 1 more inch than the sportlines droped me and my car handles just as good.

my vote goes to Coilovers

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
where'd you get the ksports, dman?

and gCobalt, how many miles have you put on your's?
i bought mine off a member from CSS

but in all honesty, how long oyur struts will last depends on the roads you drive on. my roads going to my house, its like a damn maze dodging potholes, these pot holes are so deep they make me scrape my exhaust all the dam time, i wouldnt be suprised if its flat one one side lol

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info... I think I'll end up with springs, and put some cash aside to replace the struts and shocks later on.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i might be interested. i think i remember reading you had 10k+ miles on them? how many miles can i expect to get out of the springs themselves?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
You can get coilovers from a few different companies right now. However, a sponsor here has them. Never Enough Auto sells them. However they are about $6-1600 for a set, depending on how much adjustments you want and stuff like that. I'm getting the Ksport Kontrol GT Pros right now. But I do race in my car so I need them.

If you don't race, don't get coilovers. Get springs and shocks/struts. Coilovers will drop the car more and have better handling performnace, but the ride is MUCH rougher. Save the money and get springs and shocks/struts, because there is no sense in spending that much for coilovers designed for racing if you don't race.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Cheap taiwainese coilovers will ultimately fail. Best option? ground control sleeve kit, custom coils from hypercoil or eibach.

If you just want adjustable ride height go with coilovers. If you are truly tracking the car for racing purposes, i would not use coilovers that cost me less than $4,000. The quality and science will just not be there.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
True that, but there aren't many companies that MAKE $4k coilover for cobalts! :lol: I went with Ksports because they are the best out there for the cobalts (at least the TC ones) that don't have rubbing issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you drop it on sportlines it reduces your strut life like crazy it rides very poorly, I know I've been down that road already. Also coilovers are nice because they are adjustable, personaly I like the Stance GR+ coilovers. Buy some coilovers and be done with it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If coilovers are going to cost over $800, I would rather get springs now and replace struts and shocks later. That being said, do I have any coilover options left?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.