Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed my cold air intake, and there was as hose on top of the old air box. can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yes that is from the SAI system that your car has. What year and model is your car ?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yes its called Secondary Air Injection that your car came with it basically runs for like the first 30 seconds you turn your car on a blows airthrough the system cleaning out any built up gases or other things when you shut your car off. It creats like a loud hiss and whistling sound when it is running. I took that black piece and put it on the lil black knob thing that is right above it ... you can almost see it in that pic its like at the top left of the picture almost near the middle. Some people remove it completly

Secondary Air Injection
In Late model 2006 and up models of the L61 level cobalts, GM implemented a system called SAI or Secondary Air Injection. SAI is basically an emissions conrtol device and is basically a hose after the MAF and before the throttle body connection to the engine on a small port. Basically (from what I understand) air comes into the intake from the filter, up the intake piping and the SAI takes some of that air and pumps that to mix with the exaust fumes to affectively lower the emissions. It's important to note when buying an intake system if you have SAI or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there any way i can get rid of the SAI? cause i also planned on doing header and i heard that any aftermarket header will throw a CEl

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
well there is a piece of the SAI system that is incorporated into the header so if you were to get an aftermarket header you would need to get that SAI bung welded into that same spot as the location it was on the stock header. Also the SAI is wired into the ECU of the computer so if you were to remove it you would have to get the ECU reflashed with a certain program that most dealerships dont have since it is such an expensive program. I forget the name of that program but im sure someone on here could help me out with that.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
first go to your dealership and ask them if they have the program, cause i know there are very few of the dealerships that do cause it is supposobvly a really expensive program.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
For now it would be a good idea to put a filter on the end of the tube -- or fabricate a nipple on your CAI to connect it to. When the pump is running it will suck up any dirt and could ruin the pump. No one makes a header for SAI to mount the valve to...just installing a mount won't work as the SAI exhaust manifold is made to run the SAI and has internal openings a header won't have. IF you can find a dealer that will disable the SAI -- they can do it with the same equipment that they use if you were to put on the GM 16" wheels -- then you could just remove all the SAI components and install a stock exhaust manifold or your coice in a header.

Since SAI supports emissions output you may have trouble finding a dealer to disable it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright thanks a lot. you have any recomondations on what hp mod i should do next? all i have so far is a cold air intake and fart can. sad i know lol

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
^^^ X 1000 ... you will notice the gain.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Warrenty Void

I guess warrenty isn't an issue for you guys running these mods?

I'm scared shitless to void mine...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I guess warrenty isn't an issue for you guys running these mods?

I'm scared shitless to void mine...
With minor mods such as a CAI and a catback exhaust it is realy hard to say that these contributed to causing a problem with the motor and effecting the warranty. So thereforr it would be hard for them to prove that such an aftermarket part has had such an effect. If you think about it , all your doing is taking the sock part that is resticting power and replacing it with an aftermarket part that meets the same specifications and just incresing the size and design to free up that power that was being restricted from the stock piece. Almost common sense if you think about it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Another question on this...

For now it would be a good idea to put a filter on the end of the tube -- or fabricate a nipple on your CAI to connect it to. When the pump is running it will suck up any dirt and could ruin the pump. No one makes a header for SAI to mount the valve to...just installing a mount won't work as the SAI exhaust manifold is made to run the SAI and has internal openings a header won't have. IF you can find a dealer that will disable the SAI -- they can do it with the same equipment that they use if you were to put on the GM 16" wheels -- then you could just remove all the SAI components and install a stock exhaust manifold or your coice in a header.

Since SAI supports emissions output you may have trouble finding a dealer to disable it.
A good friend of mine has a base '08 G5 with the L61 2.2. Seems when she installed a GM CAI, she too had an extra hose leftover. She installed a small filter on the end of the tube when it originally connected to the oem air cleaner. Am I correct to assume this is the same hose in the picture at the top of this thread? Also is this only on the 2.2's with 15 in wheels? Is this also on the 08 2.4 automatics with 17's? Would there be any other "leftover" hoses or problems if I installed the GM CAI unit on the 2.4??

Thanks!!!
GTO 1

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The SAI is only found on certain vehicles in states that require more strict emission laws. Although they are only found on 2.2's it has nothing to do with your model or year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.