Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of Cold Air Intake to put into an LS model? I want to start that before April, and I am not sure where to go or what to buy...also, will it mess with my dealer warranty? I've had people tell me it does because it's an engine mod, but I've had others tell me it won't affect anything. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
^^ Correct.

IMO get a SRI (Short ram intake) like Injen or KNN then its only a 15 minute job to swap it back out before warranty work.

The injen intake can be converted to SRI or CAI so thats conveniant.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Getting an SRI almost entirely defeats the purpose of spending the money on an intake. You will get more noise, that's it. Don't waste your money. Get a CAI or nothing.

As for warranty you have to pay to play. Maybe your dealer will be ok with it maybe not. On an intake it's a dealership decision.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
^^ The difference isn't even noticable between a CIA and a SRI. I have a friend that ran his INJEN at SRI for a few months and then switched it to CAI. Neither of us could tell a difference

·
Registered
192 Posts
in most situations the dealer would have to prove that your intake caused the problem. i had my car at the dealer for warranty work with my intake installed. they didnt even say a word about it. this is when i had my LS and the ignition module shorted out.

·
Registered
673 Posts
^^ The difference isn't even noticable between a CIA and a SRI. I have a friend that ran his INJEN at SRI for a few months and then switched it to CAI. Neither of us could tell a difference
Can you tell the difference between stock and an SRI? no, it's just extra noise and not enough umph on the butt dyno to matter there. However if you put it on a real dyno you will see a difference. Colder air = more horsepower. PERIOD, that's an undeniable fact and if you get the intake inlet out of the engine bay you will get colder air into the engine. It's not rocket science.

There is no viable excuse to get an SRI over a CAI.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have the K&N air intake system and it is worth the money specially since its a lifetime warranty if something goes wrong,As other companies won't give you lifetime warranty,plus go with something that has been around for many years,also the dyno tests are proven by K&N not like other companies who throw just numbers at you.Its your choice on what you want,people have different opinions either way,but just check out other companies and see if they have a dyno chart for the intake systems.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have the K&N air intake system and it is worth the money specially since its a lifetime warranty if something goes wrong,As other companies won't give you lifetime warranty,plus go with something that has been around for many years,also the dyno tests are proven by K&N not like other companies who throw just numbers at you.Its your choice on what you want,people have different opinions either way,but just check out other companies and see if they have a dyno chart for the intake systems.
most companies have dyno results posted in various places. The problem is often times those dyno results are slightly doctored with mods they don't tell you about or some good old trickeration. You're going to get 1-5hp out of an intake as a rule of thumb. Any more is pretty unrealistic to expect.

·
Registered
79 Posts
if you want to get an intake def go with a CAI but just remember that an intake is not so much of a power giver as it is a power freer.. It just helps the engine breathe which allows the engine to tap into that hidden performance that was restricted by that stock BUll****...
K&N is a good brand to go by or INJEN

·
Banned
161 Posts
Can you tell the difference between stock and an SRI? no, it's just extra noise and not enough umph on the butt dyno to matter there. However if you put it on a real dyno you will see a difference. Colder air = more horsepower. PERIOD, that's an undeniable fact and if you get the intake inlet out of the engine bay you will get colder air into the engine. It's not rocket science.

There is no viable excuse to get an SRI over a CAI.
qtf...

and hot air intake ftl

nramlow2006 added 1 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

oiled filter ftl..

aem dry flow ftw

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a AEM Cold Air with the dry flow, Its great, i love it. But if you live where there is alot of precipatation I would go with a Short Ram, The cold air is so low that is sucks up alot of crap, But i have now baught a short ram K&N so i will see which is better.

·
Banned
161 Posts
So if it's useless then why does the K&N kit on the 2.2 make 7whp, and even more on the 2.4?
there is a heat shield. thats why...its forced to pull dead air from the wheel well. but this isnt a efficient process. the only way you could fully take advantage of the K&n intake is if you had a rksport hood

·
Registered
79 Posts
if you want more power bro....as the saying goes " you gotta pay to play." a CAI or SAI is one of the cheapest mods ur gonna get on ur whip unless u have a freidn that will give u a deal or soemthing like mine did for my exhaust...NEways...

Go CAI then get a nice catback exhaust sytem.. finish it off with an aftermarket header and downpipe.. And get a high flow cat.. u could also get better spark plugs.. Theres these new pulstar spark plugs that ignite like 20x better than regular ones. after that u either need to turbo or supercharge your car.. Supercharging is a lil cheaper but if you want some serious power get a turbo. BUt a whole turbo setup for our cars will run you about 3000..its pretty expensive man..i no it sucks to hear that..thats the only thing stoping me from doing it..AND DONT TRUST NETHING YOU SEE ON EBAY OR NEHTING THAT SAYS ITS A PERFORMANCE CHIP..ALL IT IS A RESISTOR THAT LOOKS LIKE A PAPER CLIP AND ALL IT DOES IT TRICK YOUR ECU..WHICH IS NOT GOOD AT ALL..

·
Registered
230 Posts
there is a heat shield. thats why...its forced to pull dead air from the wheel well. but this isnt a efficient process. the only way you could fully take advantage of the K&n intake is if you had a rksport hood
Why isn't it efficient? Air is not only coming from the wheel well...it's coming from all sides of the filter since the heat shield is just a painted piece of sheet metal, there is no seal or anything to make it suck air from only the stock intake plumbing. I feel my filter and it's cool after I have been driving which leads me to believe air is not only coming from the stock plumbing but also from the gaps in the hood, fenders, headlights, etc...the intake is fine.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sorry, but i have to disagree with the CAI vs SRI argument. In alot of cases it is better to go CAI. But I have yet to see any aftermarket intake for the LE5 that can outperform K&N's SRI. Sure Injen says its CAI has a "highest possible output" of max 18hp, but it has no evidence to back it up whatsoever. When I see a dyno sheet showing a gain of 16whp on an otherwise stock 2.4, thats way more believable.

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
I have to admit that on my old cars.. I never felt anything from a cold air intake .. :( best thing to do is figure out where you want to take your car and plan for it... if you want to go turbo eventually, don't get your bolt on's.. because you're going to have to sell them once you get the turbo on .. You can do things like brake upgrade and catback exhaust .. those a univerally beneficial for any stage of someone's modification .. but plan ahead and save.. it'll save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sorry, but i have to disagree with the CAI vs SRI argument. In alot of cases it is better to go CAI. But I have yet to see any aftermarket intake for the LE5 that can outperform K&N's SRI. Sure Injen says its CAI has a "highest possible output" of max 18hp, but it has no evidence to back it up whatsoever. When I see a dyno sheet showing a gain of 16whp on an otherwise stock 2.4, thats way more believable.
There isn't a CAI on this planet that will get you 18hp. I'm sure they did that on a dyno, but with a bag of ice sitting on the intake and a tune. For joe schmo bolting it on in his driveway he will not see anything near double digits.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.