Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Cobalt. It's a base model 2 door Coupe with an auto and I'm very happy with the car so far, however I have noticed that when I start the car from dead cold, there is quite a lot of chattering from the top end of the engine.
Yesterday I opened a thread, about oil filters. I am hoping to find one with a, check valve/anti-flow back, feature.
Could the valve train be Dry, oilless, at Cold start?
Could this be the reason for the rattle, at Cold start?

·
Registered
91 Posts
If it only seems dry for a few seconds it probably won't damage it. However the two things that come to mind that could be a factor is the wrong weight of oil. Make sure you are using the 5 W 30 that the book calls for and also use a good filter. I use Purolater filters but there are several great brands. However, once I tried a filter from Walmart on my Jeep Wangler with the 4 cylendar that did that until I replaced the filter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to use a different filter this time.
Thanks for suggesting the Puralator.
I am going to look at the Fram Tough Guard.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine is doing it too. The filters for our cars are less than idea and none of them have an anti-drain back valve the soild part of the center tube is what keeps the oil in the housing. How long is the noise lasting on yours?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sounds more like timing chain noise, these are renoun for. Mine is also noisy at first startup for like two seconds and quiets right down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like no oil/low pressure getting to the hydraulic lifters because oil is so cold and thick. Either switch to a thinner oil if you are way up north or just start it and let it idle for a few minutes, don't rev it. Different filters won't help. I highly doubt its piston slap, that would/can cause damage. I'd bet If you had an egine warmer, when you started it , it wouldn't make noise. Put a heat lamp under the oil pan to keep the oil warm and I'd bet when it starts it won't make any noise. My van sounds like a desiel for like 5 minutes or until it warms up when I start it in the winter time (15 to 40 degrees F ) when I don't switch the oil to 5 / 30 and still have the 10/40 or 20w/50 in it.

Oh yeah, the valve in the center of the filter is a safety valve. Should the filter get clogged, as a last resort this valves open under pressure and lets oil bypass the filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had this problem since 11,000 miles. Looked at under warranty 5 times. They can't figure it out.
I know what it is just from being in these motors...
Simply it's the timing chain tensioner, oil isn't hitting it right away and extending it. So your chain is smacking around on start up basically.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Just a heads up my friends dad is a manager of a couple parts store and he has seen demos of frams "tough gaurd" since then I have switched. Apparently the filter breaks down a lot faster and allows more particles through than almost any brand.

I guess if you have enough money to advertise the junk and put a gripable bottom on you can sell your own crappy filters!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
But the Cobalt has a cartrige!!!???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.