Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so im not the most knowledgeable person, especially when it comes to tires and the cold...however I do know they flatten up a bit under cold weather. BUT my back right seems overly low and my car makes a thump noise when i first pull away (feels like its my back tire uneven with rest), and i dont have a pressure gauge to check the pressure as of right now, so i went and just put some extra air in to be safe, used the whole 3 mins worth. I then took a weekend trip up to my gf's college in jersey (2:45 up 2:45 back.) No problem with tires the whole time. Its now Wednesday and i went back out after class and saw my back right looking awfully low again. If there was a hole or slit wouldn't it have show by now? Is it normal for one tire to just look lower then another? I know i should check the pressure but i just wanted a quick answer for now.

S

·
0 Posts
you've probably got a slow leak dude... get a tire gauge... they're like 75 cents at wal-mart...

·
Registered
768 Posts
bring it in to a local tire repair shop. If you don't want to do that then get a tire pressure gauge and keep track of it. If you have a garage or a place that's warmer than 32 degrees then you could take the tire off and pour warm water/soap mix over the tire and look for bubbling. In your case it'd probably be really tiny bubbles and there would be a lot of them. IMO find out what's going on now before your on the side of the road in the cold putting on your spare

·
Registered
314 Posts
probably a small nail in the tire...had the same thing...tire shop patched it and now im looking for new tires as its a temporary fix...even brand new tires have patches sometimes but i would rather get new ones since the stock conti's suck

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would they charge just to look at it? How much is a patch generally?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
some shops dont charge for tire repairs IF you take the tire off the car and bring it to them yourself, I did that with a Kal-Tire store here, and they didnt charge to patch the tire, i just threw a different wheel on till i got the tire back, then installed it myself. saves on the shop charge for having to hoist up yer ride.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thee deeds been done, I took it after class and had Penn Tire look at it. The guy checked it, said it was an extremely small hole almost a pin size hole. He plugged it, it took all of 5-10 mins and it was 13. He says it should last until i need a new set of tires. We'll see. I just didnt want to buy a new tire even though i do need a new set, but im planning on getting new rims and i'm really not into buying 4 new now then having to buy 4 new with the rims. But thanks for your guys suggestion, kept me off the side of the road begging for help in the cold (even tho it was 66 degrees today ;-) )

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
i would take it back asap and be like put a patch plug in it. cause that regular push in plug isn't going to hold. and you really will regret it when it goes.

·
Registered
768 Posts
i would take it back asap and be like put a patch plug in it. cause that regular push in plug isn't going to hold. and you really will regret it when it goes.
X2... that is the lazy mans way of doing it at tire shops. As he mentioned earlier patch plugs are very effective and when done correctly can last as long as a tire.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I meant to say patch plug earlier whoops

S

·
0 Posts
if it was just a pin-sized hole in the first place... you'll be fine. I drove my old Ranger with a patched tire from a nail hole for 30,000 miles on the same tires without a problem...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.