Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cylinder 1-3 have about 180 and cylinder 4 is only like 25. Its dumping raw oil into the 4th Cylinder. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
um...well you can start by taking off your oil fill cap with the engine running. it should be hella smokey. could be a head gasket issue or worn/busted rings. maybe a valve is loose. any noises? check your oil for coolant. check your coolant for oil. take out the plug and see what the deal is with that. take lots of pics and report back here!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the car right now. It's at the dealer. Took it in to have My Header and Downpipe installed for free....long story. The 4th plug comes out with oil on it. There is no noise but the car is burning oil and smoking bluish smoke out the exhaust even before I took it in.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
76,xxx. What pi$$e$ me off is I just bought the car Dec 4th. This all started happening Dec27th. The Dealer agreed to put the header and downpipe on @ no charge when I found out the cat was bad. I don't know what they are gonna do about this. The car was used/as is but c'mon....I didn't blow the thing up in two weeks(drove 4x4 other week in snow) Gave me an estimate of 3k to replace 1 piston ring. This is without taking anything apart yet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is what I told the guy. I found an engine on Ebay in Wisconsin for 1950 with all the accessories, including the supercharger with only 60k on it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Did you have blue smoke when you bought it/test drove it/inspected it? Yeah, you might consider new/used engine for that money. Best test for shot rings is to start car up COLD, and immediately look for blue smoke at rear end. If its there on cold engine, youll see it.

I kno its too late know, but for future info, bud.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
or pull the oil fill cap and check for smoke. it's called BLOW BY. if your rings are letting compression get by, the gases will go into your oil pan and then continue up the galleys to your valve cover. positive crank case ventilation. make sense?

·
Registered
182 Posts
or pull the oil fill cap and check for smoke. it's called BLOW BY. if your rings are letting compression get by, the gases will go into your oil pan and then continue up the galleys to your valve cover. positive crank case ventilation. make sense?
good tip, ff, I didnt know that. I figure either way, though, on a beat up engine like that, there will be sooooo many signs a savy person will never miss it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
yeah, it's just that if the valve cover is smokey you know for a fact that it's rings. valve seals i guess you could take the intake mani off and check the intake bowls. leaky exhaust valve seal wouldn't leave an oily plug.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Umm has anyone done a leak down test yet? The dealer should have in order to narrow down the problem but doesn't sound like they did.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They only checked the compression. For them to do anything else is gonna start costing $$$$. They are not willing to help me with any of this even though I only had the car for practically 2 weeks. I am getting the old parts back and I have the old plugs from before I changed the plugs and am gonna take a look @ that stuff and see whats going on. I have to get the car trailered back because I don't want to ruin the new Vibrant Header and downpipe that was just installed. Me and my friend who is a mechanic are gonna take a look at it but we just don't have the resources to all of this on our own. His boss is a bit of a d*** and doesn't like him using the shop to do stuff on the side. The only good thing might be the part is cheap and the labor at my mechanic's shop would be less than a Saab dealer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.