Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a supercharger kit, but want to check compression first. I've been Googling this for a while, but I've found varying answers between 120 psi all the way up to 225 psi. Does anyone know what the "perfect/factory" range is, and the "still healthy" range is?

Trying to get all the "tags" for anyone trying to Google this info in the future:
2.2l LAP Ecotec Compression specs specifications

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I found a thread on a Chevy HHR forum that claims between 155 and 180 psi and no more than a 70% variation between the highest and lowest cylinders for the 2.0/2.2/2.4 Ecotec engines.

Anyone know where to find GM's specs?

Chevy HHR Source

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after doing more research, I realized that it's dependent on your elevation. The higher the elevation, the lower the PSI, soooooo, I don't know how you'd make a standard "200 psi is the correct number." This makes me think it's more about the difference across cylinders rather than the actual psi reading.

I saw a video of a guy testing a Cobalt who hit like 200 or 210 psi, but I have no idea if he was at sea level, or thousands of feet above it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know that my old Civic with a D16Y7 got 190PSI across the board when I tested it, and a friend of mine with a Civic Si-R with a B16B got 210PSI which he says is basically the textbook specs.

We're at 120ft ASL if that matters.

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
Somewhere around 180-200+ is probably in the perfectly fine range. Mainly, they just want to all be about the same.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm at 1200 feet above sea level and got just a hair over 180 across the board. Might be 1 or 2 psi difference between the highest and lowest, so it's looking good!

Gonna get the SC kit tomorrow after I throw some cash in the bank. Sold my GTX 980 Ti for $475, for a $25 profit. Prepping for a GTX 1070 next month, but the timing works out well for having enough cash to get the kit! :bigsmile:

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
I'm at 1200 feet above sea level and got just a hair over 180 across the board. Might be 1 or 2 psi difference between the highest and lowest, so it's looking good!

Gonna get the SC kit tomorrow after I throw some cash in the bank. Sold my GTX 980 Ti for $475, for a $25 profit. Prepping for a GTX 1070 next month, but the timing works out well for having enough cash to get the kit! :bigsmile:
You'll make money on that transaction anyway - the GTX 10XX series is cheaper and better at the same time.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had the EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC which actually performs better than the reference 1070, but I doubt I'll even notice the difference.

Shoot, the fact that it's max power draw is 100 watts less than the 980 Ti is reason enough for me to upgrade. I got lucky making $25 on selling my Ti, and it'll be nice to have a cooler, more power efficient card.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good side? I'd rather stay on the side with stable drivers! :laugh:

At this point, I'm admittedly an EVGA fanboy, and I can't get myself to buy any other brand.

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
Good side? I'd rather stay on the side with stable drivers! :laugh:

At this point, I'm admittedly an EVGA fanboy, and I can't get myself to buy any other brand.
My first card was a XFX 6800GS, and they handled the RMA wonderfully and without question when the card cooked itself and started artifacting (In my inexperience at the time, I made the mistake of blowing all the dust into the heatsink - it was pushing 120 degrees Celsius when running a game - compared to the 80 degrees it normally would hit when running hard).

But they eventually moved to AMD cards, and I am an NVIDIA person, so that was that. Not super brand-loyal, only get what one has the best reviews, clock rates, etc for the chipset I want.

I bought a PNY 6800GS to run SLI with my XFX 6800GS, then upgraded to a Gigabyte 9800GT, then bought my friend's eVGA 9800GTX+, and then finally what I'm running currently (when I did the big upgrade), an MSI GTX 770.

Back to the topic - made any further decisions on the blower?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My first card was a XFX 6800GS, and they handled the RMA wonderfully and without question when the card cooked itself and started artifacting (In my inexperience at the time, I made the mistake of blowing all the dust into the heatsink - it was pushing 120 degrees Celsius when running a game - compared to the 80 degrees it normally would hit when running hard).

But they eventually moved to AMD cards, and I am an NVIDIA person, so that was that. Not super brand-loyal, only get what one has the best reviews, clock rates, etc for the chipset I want.

I bought a PNY 6800GS to run SLI with my XFX 6800GS, then upgraded to a Gigabyte 9800GT, then bought my friend's eVGA 9800GTX+, and then finally what I'm running currently (when I did the big upgrade), an MSI GTX 770.

Back to the topic - made any further decisions on the blower?
My first graphics card was an EVGA, and I never had any problems with it (in fact, I'm using it now while I wait for a 1070 to become available :laugh: ). Ever since then, when it was time for an upgrade, I went with EVGA. Since I have yet to have a problem with a graphics card, I'm gonna keep getting EVGA.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and get the ZZP kit and the last blower I linked to. Waiting until Monday so that my deposit officially posts before I order.

·
Registered
70 Posts
AMD has stable drivers... And they were much better than what Nvidia had last year with the gimping of Kepler cards fiasco. AMD gets a bad rep for driver because of the old ATi cards. I've been running AMD for three years now and haven't got a single problem with the drivers :p

And as for Nvidia, I just don't like their business practices. Hence why I go with AMD. But, you're right to take EVGA, as they're the best vendor of Nvidia cards IMO.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I don't actually have anything against ATI/AMD, I just have had good experiences with EVGA. One of my friends had a few issues with his AMD graphics drivers 2 years ago, and I had some with my work laptop's AMD drivers. I think that's mostly because I was unfamiliar with the AMD control panel thingamajig.

I totally understand not buying a brand due to business practices. It's half the reason I won't buy apple products. Too many reports of factory employee suicide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.