Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Dell Dimension 5100 (like 7 years old), running XP prof. service pack 3, with Intel Pent. 4 HT, and nVidia Gforce 6800. I was just going along the internet and it crashed, it took me to the BSOD and said something like "Page error in nonpaged area" I can run in safe mode but not in regular. The boot screens are all garbled with strange characters, except for the windows, and Dell logos. Starting normally it used to go straight to the BSOD but now it boots and the welcome screen pretty much stays with some icons showing, start button, and clock. McAfee starts normally, from what i can tell. Any ideas? I'll try to get a pic of what I mean by garbled. and I just had to reload xp like a month ago. So far I updated a few drivers and tried system restore to like a couple weeks ago. And a scan showed a couple trojans in the temp internet files.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
first guess, virus. second guess, data error. Third guess, hardware failure (or failing).

recommended solution, backup necessary data, and reformat/reinstall.

I know its intimidating, but if you bring it anywhere, that's what they will do. It fixes most and you should think of it like an oil change, it should be done occasionally anyway to keep things operation properly.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I know what I'm doing sunday........

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

My father is very familiar with older systems, not so much the new ones, can xp boot from a disk from the bios? (It was a lot easier when we just had "fdisk" lol)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
As long as you have the boot order set so that the CD drive is before the hard drive you will have no issues booting to the XP CD.

Just put your CD in and restart.
Your get a message saying press any key to boot to CD.
Then then the set-up is a lot eaiser then it was in the old DOS days using Fdisk.
If you were closer to me i'd help you out with that because i work on pc;s all the time.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I guess I know what I'm doing sunday........

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

My father is very familiar with older systems, not so much the new ones, can xp boot from a disk from the bios? (It was a lot easier when we just had "fdisk" lol)
It's been a while since I've done XP recovery (I just learned its 15x easier to just reformat). but yes you can make a recovery disk...but from there, I cannot remember. sorry, I'm no help.

But you can run the xp cd...lol

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay cus last time we didnt format just reloaded since we didnt know if the bios knew how to boot

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

oh i forgot to add that the bios is also all garbled in the messed up characters, which sorta made me think, motherboard.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
okay cus last time we didnt format just reloaded since we didnt know if the bios knew how to boot

just make sure you follow instructions to do a CLEAN install. do not install over your old. (sorry if that seems redundant, but I see a lot of people just reinstall over old, which is a waste of time, and'll only make it worse.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

oh i forgot to add that the bios is also all garbled in the messed up characters, which sorta made me think, motherboard.

If the Bios info is garbled in the messed up characters it likely is a MB issue.
Also could be a possible video card issue.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
there was also a power surge about 2 hours before but wouldnt that be immediate?
could lead me to think hardware. namely the powersupply or video card. does your computer have on board video as well?

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

If it does, try to remove the video card and use only the on board (you may have to turn it on via the BIOS) as well as install a driver.

Why? Maybe part of your PSU that supplimently powers your video card toasted and now your card runs in low power mode. Its a long shot, but it's something to try.

You could also try another video card that does not require much power in its place in case it was the video card that got fried.

Really a lot of computer hardware failures are hard to isolate. Heck it could be a memory error, or the power failure messed up the OS install on your hard drive, or even the hard drive failing itself. So you just have to go at it with some trial and error. But you cannot be sure its hardware unless you do the reformat and determine for sure its not software.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I wouldn't stress it yet. there is a very good chance its software yet.

But I always like my HPs (but I hear they've gone south the past few years). What do you use it for? what size screen?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I didn't even realize you were using a laptop at first. sorry, I guess my hardware tips were to the birds on that one. lol

I'd just find a laptop with good specs for the money with a good warranty (even the store on if its not priced crazy) and you have nothing to worry about even if it does fall apart. its under warranty. lol

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no its a pc. I've just been thinking I wanted a lap top lately since im in school it would be convenient

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

okay so I disabled the video card in the device manager, it's working now. Soooooo?

P.S. the resolution is all out of whack now lol

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
no its a pc. I've just been thinking I wanted a lap top lately since im in school it would be convenient

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

okay so I disabled the video card in the device manager, it's working now. Soooooo?

P.S. the resolution is all out of whack now lol
are you using the on board now? if so youd have to install the driver to fix the resolution. id suspect your video card is toast. do you have a spare to test it?

if you changed nothing else and are still getting display from your original card, it could just be a bad driver (not sure how it'd gone wrong on its own, but anything is possible...virus maybe). try to uninstall your video driver and reinstall. (uninstall via device manager and d/l the newest version from nvidia)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
are you using the on board now? if so youd have to install the driver to fix the resolution. id suspect your video card is toast. do you have a spare to test it?

if you changed nothing else and are still getting display from your original card, it could just be a bad driver (not sure how it'd gone wrong on its own, but anything is possible...virus maybe). try to uninstall your video driver and reinstall. (uninstall via device manager and d/l the newest version from nvidia)
well if just disabling the card from the device manager uses the on board one then yes, and no I dont have another. I'm going to reinstall the drivers and see how it goes.

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

so i uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and no joy. I get the BSOD with the "page error in non paged area" message.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Ram, Ram, Ram. That error is a data error in either memory or NTFS system. If you have more than one stick of ram, try removing one at a time and see if that helps. if it doesn't help, try loading your system with the last known working configuration. If that still doesn't work, you need to check your hdd to make sure it's still in working condition.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Ram, Ram, Ram. That error is a data error in either memory or NTFS system. If you have more than one stick of ram, try removing one at a time and see if that helps. if it doesn't help, try loading your system with the last known working configuration. If that still doesn't work, you need to check your hdd to make sure it's still in working condition.
still thinking its possible the error is within the video card memory. but its another option.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.