Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting water/condensation in the headlamp, passenger side. I did a search and apparently this isn't uncommon. A few folks replaced the headlamp and there was one thread with a link to how to take the headlamp apart.

I'm wondering whether the leak is from around the opening for the bulb or is it more likely that it's the joint between the clear lens and opaque, back part of the headlamp assembly. One post recommended taking the headlamp out and putting it in the oven as a way to reseal it. Another recommended putting more sealant around the joint(s).

Has anyone had success with sealing up the headlamp? Should I just try to re-seal it or just replace it? TIA

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd just reseal it with extra sealant. I used OCI Butyl to seal my retrofit. To get the best seal, you should bake them and pull them apart before adding the sealant and resealing them.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I resealed my old cars headlamp by just getting a waterproof sealant and putting it around the edge of where the lenses starts.

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You really don't have to put it in the oven. Just leave it out in the sun until the condensation is gone. Then reseal it.

Galaxy S3

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you look on the backside of the housing of your headlamp assembly, you will notice that in one spot, there is a slight bulge box shape. Take a small 1/4" bit and drill in just about a 1/4" inch. It will take up to a week, but your creating a weep hole for condensation to release out into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your suggestions.... it seems to me the easiest approach would be to remove the lamp and add more sealer to the seam. I might try pumping some air into the hole where the bulb goes and brushing some soap over the lens seam to try to locate the leak.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks all for your suggestions.... it seems to me the easiest approach would be to remove the lamp and add more sealer to the seam. I might try pumping some air into the hole where the bulb goes and brushing some soap over the lens seam to try to locate the leak.
Is it on the upper portion of the headlight towards the turn signal? I had the same issue, drilling the hole helped best. RTV sealant didn't do a licking of good. That's what OEM uses. If you changed your bulbs recently, you basically sealed up the headlights with moisture in the air. I call it the artificial aquarium cause when its a cold damp morning, its an ecosystem in your headlight.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it on the upper portion of the headlight towards the turn signal? I had the same issue, drilling the hole helped best. RTV sealant didn't do a licking of good. That's what OEM uses. If you changed your bulbs recently, you basically sealed up the headlights with moisture in the air. I call it the artificial aquarium cause when its a cold damp morning, its an ecosystem in your headlight.
Thanks 5t.. any speculations as to why the manufacturer wouldn't design this into the lamp?

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is an opening that has a small screen on the top of the back part for this purpose, but I think the screen blocks most of the moisture from escaping, especially when they get dirty.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks 5t.. any speculations as to why the manufacturer wouldn't design this into the lamp?

You have to consider that all their cars are sold all around in different climates, you also have to consider, these manufacturers are set to make money the cheapest way they can. What better more than to seal up headlamps and make you buy another set from a dealership for incidents like this one?

Notice that some aftermarket company headlamps created a hole with a weep tube to allow moisture to drain out so your concern wont happen.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
....... What better more than to seal up headlamps and make you buy another set from a dealership for incidents like this one?
:) :):):)

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

There is an opening that has a small screen on the top of the back part for this purpose, but I think the screen blocks most of the moisture from escaping, especially when they get dirty.
Thanks...I'll probably be poking around with it this weekend. I'll look for this.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I took the headlight out (pretty easy w/ the help of a youtube video) and removed the water (there was about a tablespoon) from the assembly with a straw and a hair dryer. I didn't find any cracks and the lens seal looked fine as far as I could tell. The seal for the main bulb and the smaller amber bulb appeared to be fine as well.

I noticed a small round piece of tape covering a hole at the top of the lamp assembly. The tape is accessible with the lamp installed. If the assembly takes on moisture again, I'll remove that piece of tape to see if it allows it to dry out.

On occasion I hose the engine and the engine compartment down. It may be that this is how water /moisture is finding it's way into the headlight assembly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.