Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a CAI, and I've been looking at and comparing the K&N and Injen intakes. The K&N says it's a CAI, but compared to the Injen, it's got a short tube like the SRIs. Is it really a cold air intake?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm looking for a CAI, and I've been looking at and comparing the K&N and Injen intakes. The K&N says it's a CAI, but compared to the Injen, it's got a short tube like the SRIs. Is it really a cold air intake?
it does say CAI, but it is actually a SRI because it sits in the engine compartment. that confused me too at first but there is no way its a CAI

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, that's what I thought. So are the differences drastic between them? Anybody had both the Injen and the K&N?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hmm, that's what I thought. So are the differences drastic between them? Anybody had both the Injen and the K&N?
injen uses a dry air filter and K&N uses a wet (oiled) one, but you probably already knew that. im sure someone has had both though that can tell you. its just a matter of preference with the air filters

·
Registered
317 Posts
well the difference between the k&n sri and the injen cai is that the cai will give you more top end power, while the sri will give you better throttle response and low end power

·
Registered
802 Posts
k&n is better proven performance... i've had both the injen was nice but not designed to my liking's and plus runnin a real cai you'll have problem's specially in heavy rain storms... the nice thing about the k&n is no only is it proven performnac it has the heat sheild to block the filter form the actually engine heat.

·
Registered
496 Posts
k&n is better proven performance... i've had both the injen was nice but not designed to my liking's and plus runnin a real cai you'll have problem's specially in heavy rain storms... the nice thing about the k&n is no only is it proven performnac it has the heat sheild to block the filter form the actually engine heat.
so the heat shield actually works and does what its supposed to?

·
Registered
455 Posts
the k&n says its a cai because, if its the one im thinking of, you can switch it between cai and sri. they show the sri on the pic because its easier to display. but if you read it they call it a full cai i believe.all it means is you can switch it easily.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
the k&n says its a cai because, if its the one im thinking of, you can switch it between cai and sri. they show the sri on the pic because its easier to display. but if you read it they call it a full cai i believe.all it means is you can switch it easily.
no, injen is the one that converts. i have the k&n and its sri only. they may call it that because of the heat shield. but idk.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the difference between the k&n sri and the injen cai is that the cai will give you more top end power, while the sri will give you better throttle response and low end power
Let me make sure I'm understand this cirrectly... the SRI will give more power @ lower a lower speed/rpm range and more kick in the acceleration, the CAI will give more @ higher speed/rpm ranges? So, for someone who doesn't go over 80 and really wants better acceleration the SRI is it, yes?

·
Registered
720 Posts
SRI is lower RPM power and better throttle response. CAI is more overall hp and the power is more dominant in the higher RPM range. It really doesn't have anything to do with speed, just what RPM range you are in.

K&N is called CAI strictly because of the heat shield. I don't know how well it works (the heat shield that is). I was going to get the K&N, but I got a used Injen for really cheap. I had the Injen as SRI for a couple weeks, now I have it as a CAI. You can definitely tell the difference between having it one way and the other. I was able to chirp the tires a little more with SRI as I had some more power from the get go, but I didn't care for how loud the intake was. Overall I like the sound better with it as a CAI. There is a decent amount of power on the top end as well. Nothing absurd as all I have is the intake right now.

Get whichever one you want. They are equally nice.

Geyser mentioned that K&N is oiled and Injen is not...incorrect. They are both oiled. The AEM dryflow filter is the only filter that's not oiled, but I don't know if the AEM intake comes with an oiled filter or the dryflow. That's off topic though as you aren't asking about AEM. A lot of people who go with SRI recommend upgrading to the AEM dryflow filter so you don't risk getting oil on your MAF sensor, but I don't think too many people have had problems with that.

·
Registered
496 Posts
im almost 100% sure thats the Injen one youre talking about. its a complete cold air so it can change between a SRI and CAI. the K&N cant do that, at least im not aware that in can....

·
Registered
455 Posts
im almost 100% sure thats the Injen one youre talking about. its a complete cold air so it can change between a SRI and CAI. the K&N cant do that, at least im not aware that in can....
yeah your right bro. my bad lol. it is the injen. good catch.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Let me make sure I'm understand this cirrectly... the SRI will give more power @ lower a lower speed/rpm range and more kick in the acceleration, the CAI will give more @ higher speed/rpm ranges? So, for someone who doesn't go over 80 and really wants better acceleration the SRI is it, yes?
thats exactly why im going w a SRI. i hear more it has a bit more noise too

·
Registered
496 Posts
SRI is lower RPM power and better throttle response. CAI is more overall hp and the power is more dominant in the higher RPM range. It really doesn't have anything to do with speed, just what RPM range you are in.

K&N is called CAI strictly because of the heat shield. I don't know how well it works (the heat shield that is). I was going to get the K&N, but I got a used Injen for really cheap. I had the Injen as SRI for a couple weeks, now I have it as a CAI. You can definitely tell the difference between having it one way and the other. I was able to chirp the tires a little more with SRI as I had some more power from the get go, but I didn't care for how loud the intake was. Overall I like the sound better with it as a CAI. There is a decent amount of power on the top end as well. Nothing absurd as all I have is the intake right now.

Get whichever one you want. They are equally nice.

Geyser mentioned that K&N is oiled and Injen is not...incorrect. They are both oiled. The AEM dryflow filter is the only filter that's not oiled, but I don't know if the AEM intake comes with an oiled filter or the dryflow. That's off topic though as you aren't asking about AEM. A lot of people who go with SRI recommend upgrading to the AEM dryflow filter so you don't risk getting oil on your MAF sensor, but I don't think too many people have had problems with that.
dern my bad. damn injen site must lied or something...or i didnt read it, i dunno

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats exactly why im going w a SRI. i hear more it has a bit more noise too
Yeah, I'm liking the Typhoon. As for the sound, I found somes youtube vids of Balts with intakes. I listened to each of them, and the Injen sounds like an R/C toy to me. The Ty is nice and throaty. I think I'll pair that with the Tsudo exhaust. Yeeeaaah....
YouTube - Cobalt SS 2.4L K&N Tycoon Short ram

dern my bad. damn injen site must lied or something...or i didnt read it, i dunno
I think they're making a dry one now, not sure, I don't have my laptop, so I don't have my links. I believe the standard with the intake is oiled, though.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think they're making a dry one now, not sure, I don't have my laptop, so I don't have my links. I believe the standard with the intake is oiled, though.[/QUOTE]

ya i mean i coulda sworn they had a dry filtered one...thats why i was actually looking at it. but i just looked it up and they have the wet ones too

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't aware that they may have one now. The Injen I own is oiled though. I only knew of AEM having the dryflow, however since I now picked and own my intake, I haven't looked at anything new coming out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.