Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight I got home and went to get out of my car to find out I was rolling backwards down the driveway(car was off, and in neutral). I hit the brakes, and realized the parking brake wasnt fully engaged, so I released it and let it roll down into the street.

Here's the part that scared me a little bit: when I went to start the car, the engine did not start right away. The RPM's stayed below 0 on the tach for about 3-5 seconds, the lights dimmed, and I think there might have been a chime in there somewhere before the idle went up to normal. I could hear the engine having trouble so I know it wasnt just the tach acting up.I have never had this happen before. After I got back up the driveway and parked again, I shut off the car and started up again, and there were no problems.

I've had an engine surge when doing a lot of stop and go driving lately and I had the dealershit check it out last week. They apparently test drove it and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary(hard to believe, It happens literally everytime I drive the car), but reccomended throttle body service. Could a dirty throttle body cause the problem with the car starting?

the car is an 06' ls 5-speed coupe with 40k miles on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I'm going to clean the throttle body either way to see if it gets rid of the engine surge, I was just wondering if a dirty throttle body even could cause a problem with starting or if I'm dealing with a completely new issue.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
It can stick closed.

But I pulled mine off at about that time, and it wasn't really dirty...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It can stick closed.

But I pulled mine off at about that time, and it wasn't really dirty...
really? I've heard you should clean the throttle body every 30k miles but I might be wrong.

I drove around today without any problems so I'm hoping cleaning the TB will cure the enging surge and the starting issue was just a one time thing (for my bank account's sake)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.