Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys... wanted to replace control arms on 2006 2.2. automatic was wondering what's the difference in the FE and FE3 and can I use either or. Also is there any other parts that are FE3 I should get with the arms?

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can replace the steel arms with the aluminum versions. Stick with the ones that fit the early Cobalt SS, as the later ones changed to a different size ball joint stud. I am planing or buying the aluminum arms myself for my LT sedan.

As far as I know you should be able to bolt them in with no problems. Although I haven’t seen anyone say it, but I have wondered if their geometry is slightly different. I wouldn’t have a problem since I already have the camber bolts installed. Although after I used them and did the alignment, they were more of a pain to use than I thought. Kind of wish I bought the ones with the nylon sleeves that fit inside the bolt holes to tighten them up when adjusting. Otherwise they kind of float around in the bolt holes in the struts while adjusting them.

My main reason for the aluminum arms was to gain a little stiffer steering and suspension feel. I also may end up installing some lowering springs and FE5 struts and shocks as well. Otherwise you don’t really need to buy anything else unless you’re lowering it at the same time. If you’re lowing the car, you will need the shorter sway bar links.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts