Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For all those that don't have a key fob for trunk release should like this "mod"

Since I am so late into the game with cobalts, this is the only mod that I have not seen on the forums.

WHAT IT DOES: Release the trunk from the inside without having to open the coin compartment.

WHAT YOU NEED: furniture feet (foam/rubber), can be found in hardware stores or dollar stores. They need to be round and about 20mm in diameter.

stack them up to about 14mm high and stick it in the same area as the picture below and you can start enjoying convenient trunk release. Just push on the outside of the compartment where the little trunk release sign is and voila! How it should have been designed in the first place! (IMO).

INSTALL TIP: I used mac-tac (the sticky compound to hold up posters and what nots) to stick the stack of feet to the trunk release button and then you peel off the adhesive backing on it, then close it and hold it firmly and when you open, the mac-tac is not as strong as the adhesive and it will let go, giving you the precise place where you need to stick it without having to play around with it.

And I guess while I am at this...

My recent GMPP exhaust installed

Exterior w/dinky 15" mags

Recent interior

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
that's cool but I'd be worried about bumping it when I'm driving lol

woot for GMPP!! you should get a tip on it now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting...thats a good idea actually.

Now drop that thing...:laugh:
Yeah I know I need a drop BAD!, but I am scared of winters with a drop and the numerous stories about how shocks go bad after that, so I guess it's coilovers or nothing....

I had thought about doing something like that. never really got around to it. thanks for sharing.
NP!

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Yeah I know I need a drop BAD!, but I am scared of winters with a drop and the numerous stories about how shocks go bad after that, so I guess it's coilovers or nothing....
You'll be fine. Drop it, ride on stock shock/struts for a while until you can save up for the FE5 shocks/struts. Once winter comes, just slap some good meaty snow tires on and your good to go. Trust me, we had a really good snow storm here this past winter 3ft+ of snow and I had no issues what so ever. I DO NOT get stuck....ever.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's cool but I'd be worried about bumping it when I'm driving lol

woot for GMPP!! you should get a tip on it now.
Well actually there's a beauty to this design at 14mm, it's quite sensitive, meaning you don't have to give it too hard of a push to open, but you can adjust that say 12mm you would have to push harder, meaning you probably won't accidentally open it. It's a little trial and error.

unless you have auto like stickx said, it won't be an issue

And as for the tip.... costs 59$ CAD, Imma gonna stay ghetto!

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

You'll be fine. Drop it, ride on stock shock/struts for a while until you can save up for the FE5 shocks/struts. Once winter comes, just slap some good meaty snow tires on and your good to go. Trust me, we had a really good snow storm here this past winter 3ft+ of snow and I had no issues what so ever. I DO NOT get stuck....ever.
And what kind of springs would you recommend?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of drop do you want? Do you want a good handling spring or do you just want a drop?
Well if I am going to buy springs might as well as to get some peformance benefits out of it. I was thinking sportlines or something....

I just want to wheel well to follow the wheel more, nothing super low, maybe 1.5"?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just checked out pedders... looks good and seems like a real performance booster, but at close to 400$ for the whole KIT?!?! Yikes...

B&G how much was that? Drop? Any performance improvements?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Little off topic at this point (springs) but I'm diggin' that shift knob. Is that a short throw or did you just rip off the stock knob and pop that on??

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Little off topic at this point (springs) but I'm diggin' that shift knob. Is that a short throw or did you just rip off the stock knob and pop that on??
yeah it went off topic pretty quick, but to answer your question, I just removed the stock and put that on. The trick is finding a shift knob that has the hole drilled/casted/molded all the way to the top, so it's as "low" as possible.

If you want to know it's a ractive white carbon shift knob (model TK630) , you can probably find it easily enough near your auto bling bling stores :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Newer cars have a locked compartment for the trunk release button, so if the car ever gets broken into there is no way to open the trunk (without the key). Wish there was a "mod" way to do this to a balt...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.