Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I need your coolant advice. I have caught a raw deal. When I bought my Cobalt they replaced the engine under warranty due to a blown head gasket. Now 60k miles later I am picking my car up today after blowing another head gasket. I work at Advance Auto and I was talking to some of my customers and coworkers and some were actually saying that Pentofrost is actually gentler on head gaskets. Before I go spending nearly $100 on Pentofrost I wanted other owners advice on which coolant is doing the best job for them. Okay have at it!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I'm at 115k miles, and all the vehicle has ever run is Dexcool (I replaced most of it around ~60-70k, when I replaced the radiator after dropping it on a jack stand). The heat exchanger circuit for the Supercharger runs the same thing.

I use Prestone Dexcool.

I also run that in my 245k mile Cavalier. Put new stuff in around 15k miles ago to replace whatever brown nasty mix was in there from the previous owner. And just replaced the radiator on it, and added more fresh Dexcool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm at 115k miles, and all the vehicle has ever run is Dexcool (I replaced most of it around ~60-70k, when I replaced the radiator after dropping it on a jack stand). The heat exchanger circuit for the Supercharger runs the same thing.

I use Prestone Dexcool.

I also run that in my 245k mile Cavalier. Put new stuff in around 15k miles ago to replace whatever brown nasty mix was in there from the previous owner. And just replaced the radiator on it, and added more fresh Dexcool.

All ive used also, never had any issues from it, never even had a leak (that wasnt my fault =P

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
As a general rule, always go with what the manufacturer recommends, in this case, Dexcool. Changed my coolant at ~60k miles with fresh Dex and never had a problem since. Used to run the car pretty hard too. It's good stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.