Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cobalt LT 2.2L Metallic Black all stock
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Peeps,

My 2010 LT 2.2 had a small puddle of coolant (appx 2-3 oz I would guess) under the right side of the radiator yesterday. I also noticed a trail behind the car after pulling it in the garage and the parking spot at work. I haven't driven it since so it is cool and in the garage. I am planning to take a look at it this afternoon. I haven't encountered any coolant leaks with this car before and I have had it since mile 14. We are now at 168K. I am hoping that there is a hose that is cracked or something simple for this fix but wanted to get ahead of the curve. Does anyone have the layout for the coolant lines for this model? Perhaps any past experiences with a leak in that location?

When I look at it tonight, I will hopefully know more but as with anything, sometime the leak is not where it drips. (I know this all too well from the cam shaft gasket going bad and oil being sprayed and dripping from many places.)

Any advice or helpful thoughts are appreciated!

Nick

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hmm. Hopefully worst case would be the radiator end tank is leaking. I find they may not leak under running conditions. But may later leak after the engine has cooled off and is parked. Lots of times we have cars come in with this problem and can’t get a leak to happen until the car has sat and cooled off.

I like to use a cooling system pressure tester. I’m not sure if the ones you can borrow from the auto parts stores has the fitting to screw onto the expansion tank. My kit does though. Also have fittings that can be expanded into the opening in the tank to pressurize it. Usually use those on the European vehicles.

Anyways I’d try pressurizing the cooling system cold. If no leaks can be found, run the engine with it pressurized. That’s basically what has to be done.

Any leaks behind the engine may be the crossover pipe that goes into the water pump. If the pump leaks it will leak out of the weep hole. Unfortunately I don’t currently have a diagram to post.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts