Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last couple of months I have been getting alot and I mean alot of blow by Yellow/White Gunk from the PCV valve on my 2.2 Cobalt that recirculates into the intake. I have setup a catch can but the amount just seems to get thicker and more of it every time I check. Also I get a decent amount of it on the dipstick and oil cap.

Thinking it could be the headgasket and wanted to know what others think and also if there is a Headgasket tutorial on this site as I will prob do it anyway just to be safe. I also have the smog pump on my car and was wondering if that could cause issues and if it could be removed.

Thanks for any help with this.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The yellow/white gunk is water from one of 2 things or both.
A: a defect in the water to oil interface (1: head gasket, 2: crack in head, 3: crack in block )
B: moisture from the air the engine breaths condensing inside the engine.

So first, what is your normal drive cycle, or how long / how far do you normally drive. With the normaly quick engine warm up time, any thing longer than 2 miles should be long enough (summer time mid-US). Cooler climates will take a bit longer. Now many very short hops and never getting the engine up to temp for long enough allows the moisture to collect and condense into a “yellow/white gunk”

To test for water leak one can get a good pressure gauge and pressurize the cooling system and see how well the system holds pressure.
For a short term repair of a water leak, one can try one of the many “coolant leak stop” products on the market.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts