Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a 2005 Cobalt 2.2L Base Coupe. Lately I've noticed that my coolant temperature has lingered between 167F and 178F while I'm driving around. Our outside temperature has been in the 30s and 40s. The car will reach 180F only if the car is sitting at idle. The thermostat was replaced 2 or 3 years ago.

What could be the issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Your thermostat again.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Driving to work today I drove 55MPH for 20 minutes and the coolant temperature stayed a steady 176F. The outside air temp was 35F.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

The coolant would reach 180F when driving in city though.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Thermostat is a 192°F

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think mine is a 180F thermostat.

What brand should I get? I believe the one I have now is Ac Delco

Is there an instructional on how to replace? The last time is was replaced the mechanic said they had to shift over my header. But now I don't have a header in the car.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well if you have a 180 and it runs at 180 you're good.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Not okay if it doesn't produce enough heat to keep you warm or defrost the windows. Aside from that it won't hurt anything. If you start getting codes though I would change it. For the little power gains you get from running it 12°F colder I would go back to the 192°F thermostat unless you plan on moving to Florida.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You're right a 12622410 is a 180°F (82°C). 05s must have used a colder thermostat. So you,re good to go! Don't worry any more until you get a code.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

I've been mistaking all this time, that's the thermostat for all 2.2 from 05-10

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phhhhheeewwwwww glad it's not something else to worry about. I still have to install my cat back system and lower control arms!

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

I guess that means 05s are "cooler" B-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.