Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the coolant temp should be? It's usually been 190-196, but today I was sitting in line at the bank and I decided to check it. It was at 203 and kept going up. At one point it got to 214. When I started driving, it went down to 187? Is it time for a trip to the dealership? It's a 2008 Sport Coupe. would it still be under warranty at 45,000 miles?

·
Registered
872 Posts
there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ the car, totally normal for the coolant temp to vary.

fan doesnt kick in till 230, so as long as ur under that ur good. mine varies betweeen 185-192. ive gotten all the way to 222 before, but i was doing a lot of heavy foot driving and it was over 100 outside.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You should have a 50/50 misture of coolant to water,the coolant raises the boiling point or the 50 percent of water in the system to a higher temp.
Right. But still, I often wonder if the stat is opening up at say, 195 to cool in the rad, how is it possible to get to the 230 F which then, PCM kicks in??

Shouldnt the rad work well to cool back down to say, 190-210?

·
Registered
381 Posts
It heated up while you were idling because it wasn't getting airflow. Obviously idling for long periods in warmer ambient temperatures will drive coolant temperature up. If you're sitting for a while, just turn it off.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
if it gets up too high like 200, just flip on your a/c(can still use warm setting so you do not freeze your tush off) and that kicks the secondary fan on and well cool it back down to around normal. that is what I do if I am in traffic or stopped for abit.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Also by putting in a lower gear and keeping in a lower gear while in stop and go traffic will keep RPMs up and increase the flow through the system and assist the cooling process.

·
Registered
360 Posts
boiling point is 210 how can the temp be higher than that and not cause any problems?
OK HERE.....
Water does boil at 212 degrees, but
for every pound of pressure you put it under, then
the boiling point raises by three degrees.
So we have a 16 pound radiator cap X that by 3 = 48
Add that to 212+48 =260 so that is the boiling point under 16 LBS of pressure.

forgot I see 200- 215 often down here.

·
Registered
208 Posts
there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ the car, totally normal for the coolant temp to vary.

fan doesnt kick in till 230, so as long as ur under that ur good. mine varies betweeen 185-192. ive gotten all the way to 222 before, but i was doing a lot of heavy foot driving and it was over 100 outside.
Low speed fan kicks on at 217* and shuts off at 190*. I've sat there at idle many a time and watched the low speed kick on/off at those temps. The 230+* fan is the high speed. If your car is heating up in the 200's at anything other than idle your cooling system isn't working right.
boiling point is 210 how can the temp be higher than that and not cause any problems?
Boiling point isn't 210 bro...the coolant being pressurized plus a 50/50 mix raises the BP drastically.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'm going to take it in though. When I got home it smelled like radiator fluid... but I didn't see any liquid on the ground when I checked on it. I dunno...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Mine is at 185.. Id say if you live in a hot town you should have the fan hooked up directly to the ignition, so right when you turn your car on it turns on.. i do that in the summer and my shit stays cool

·
Registered
821 Posts
my car DIC says low coolant.... And I just added some gasstation bought fluid and refilled it.... Not will the DEX-COOL brand the owners manuel suggests.

the owners manual says "this coolant is designed to remain in the vehicle for five years or 150,000 miles, whichever is first....

I only have 14,817 miles on my engine.

Is something wrong if I had to fill it? No visible leaks.
Is this incorrect in the manual? Is the manual saying I shouldn't have to mess withh adding more fluid for another 5 years, or am I just reading this wrong?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.