Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently had a car run me off the road and my two driver side tires were blown out because I ran into a ditch. Since then I have replaced both tires. I am now having an issue with my engine running hot. My coolant temp was 240 after driving a few miles and my milage indicator said engine cooling system on. Never seen it before. Wondering if this could be a thermostat issue. It's an 07 cobalt 4 door ls. Now my coolant is actually reading blank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not a mechanic, but I'm thinking it's gotta be your coolant temp sensor. If you have the 2.2 ecotec it should be back behind the valve cover(I think) should be videos out there, not an expensive part.

How do I know if my coolant temp sensor is bad?

Bad Coolant Temperature Sensor Symptoms
  1. Check Engine Light.
  2. Poor Mileage.
  3. Electrical Cooling Fans not coming on.
  4. Black Smoke from the Exhaust Pipe.
  5. Difficult Starting Condition.
  6. Engine Overheats.
  7. Poor Idling.
  8. Poor Engine performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a mechanic, but I'm thinking it's gotta be your coolant temp sensor. If you have the 2.2 ecotec it should be back behind the valve cover(I think) should be videos out there, not an expensive part.

How do I know if my coolant temp sensor is bad?

Bad Coolant Temperature Sensor Symptoms
  1. Check Engine Light.
  2. Poor Mileage.
  3. Electrical Cooling Fans not coming on.
  4. Black Smoke from the Exhaust Pipe.
  5. Difficult Starting Condition.
  6. Engine Overheats.
  7. Poor Idling.
  8. Poor Engine performance.
Thank you I've been doing some research and I think that's what it could be.
Automotive tire Wood Gesture Finger Fender

·
Registered
651 Posts
Good to hear you’ve fixed the problem. But sometimes the fans can also cause such a problem. I had mine fail a while back. It would work at low speed, but when it was supposed to run at high speed, it wouldn’t run.

Came to the conclusion that it has a high and low speed winding. Has two power wires, one ground wire. After replacing it the car hasn’t had any overheating issues. I used an AC Delco fan assembly. Happened to be made with a Bosch motor. It’s a little louder than the old one at high speed, but really keeps the coolant regulated much better, especially in the hot Texas summers.

I also did replace the thermostat before that thinking it may be an issue. But it wasn’t really. But the old t-stat was in bad shape where it has a rubber seal in the center. Probably had been bypassing coolant. I noticed the car warms up quicker which is much better. Especially in the winter when you want the heater to get hot quickly when started from a cold start. Also make sure not to use a cheap t-stat. They can cause issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.