Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got a ticket for doing 43 in a 25. But the cop who got me with his radar isn't the cop who pull me over. Another cop pulled me over 3 blocks away. Is that even allowed

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately there's not much you can do to contest something like that. I think in most states, 15+ is a reckless. I'd set a court date, go in, and see if they will drop it under 15 if you agree to traffic school and the original fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ticket is only 105 so ill just pay it. I was more pissed about how he just said he didn't radar me someone else did. Bc for all I no that other just guessed my speed bc when I passed the cop who pulled me over I was only 35

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
hope you wasnt speeding through a residential, gotta learn to control yourself

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I know they use elaborate, multi-vehicle stings all over the place up here. Heck, I have even seen airplanes/pavement markings used to tag people. Kind of sucks, but what do you do.

That's an insanely low fine. What's the official charge on the citation?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the only reason I was speeding was bc I was riding the gas up the hill then coasted from the too at 35 an the cop was at the bottom with the radar. So when he asked why I was speeding and I told him I coasted from the top of the hill he looked at me and said its impossible for such thing

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
lolwut jerk cop is a jerk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you pay half the ticket and do a defensive driving course, they'll drop the mark on your record = lower insurance!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Not getting caught in the first place = even lower insurance!

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
^ yep. I try not to drive too fast. But I went from an old SUV, to my car. So sometimes I don't even realize how fast I'm going still.

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
not having insurance = LOWER INSURANCE!!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Not getting caught in the first place = even lower insurance!
Sometimes it's nice.. to just vent and do a random 120'er down a straight stretch on the highway after a big hill

and sometimes you get caught, and then you're double pissed!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
This is why I go to track events. I can beat the piss out of my car and do whatever stupid thing I feel like and no repremand from the man. Sure, I've partaken in the street races, but it's never as satisfying and definately not as safe. :endrant

·
Registered
713 Posts
I had a cop pull me over on the freeway because he said he thought it looked like I was going fast. Mind you I was in the fast lane behind a line of cars and he was 5 lanes away on the on ramp, not even on the freeway yet. (He was driving, not taking radar or anything)

He then gave me all kinds of sobriety tests for about an hour even though I hadnt drank a single drop before giving me a speeding ticket for an estimated 75 in a 65.

I went to court for that one, and the cop showed to argue his side, but the judge basically laughed at the cops shitty work and dismissed the ticket. It was awesome looking him in the eye as I walked out of the court, even though I imagine he couldnt have given less of a shit.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Ok so I got a ticket for doing 43 in a 25. But the cop who got me with his radar isn't the cop who pull me over. Another cop pulled me over 3 blocks away. Is that even allowed
Technically no, it isn't allowed, but most people don't know this, as you can see from the enxt few comments.

Ya it was probably a speed sting. One cop hides with a radar gun and more cops sit up ahead when the one with the radar gun catches someone he radios your cars info to the other cops sucks I know
Perfectly legal. If you're lucky, they'll drop it down to 15 over.
^^Wrong guys, it is NOT legal. I'll explain later :)

Yeah it sucks bc he followed me for 3 blocks b4 pulling me over and when I asked what he radared me at his response was oh I didn't radar you.
Remember this statement, ESPECIALLY in court.

Yeah, unfortunately there's not much you can do to contest something like that. I think in most states, 15+ is a reckless. I'd set a court date, go in, and see if they will drop it under 15 if you agree to traffic school and the original fine.
The ticket is only 105 so ill just pay it. I was more pissed about how he just said he didn't radar me someone else did. Bc for all I no that other just guessed my speed bc when I passed the cop who pulled me over I was only 35
Again remember that statement.

I know they use elaborate, multi-vehicle stings all over the place up here. Heck, I have even seen airplanes/pavement markings used to tag people. Kind of sucks, but what do you do.

That's an insanely low fine. What's the official charge on the citation?
Ok guys, here is an explanation as to why this is NOT legal and will NOT stand up in court. Federal law states that the officer who SEES you do the infraction HAS to be the one who writes the ticket. IF he is NOT the officer who saw you do it, how can he prove it was you who did it in the first place? Because one officer said you did? This is what they call "hear-say" in court. THIS IS NOT UPHOLDABLE IN COURT. ANY attorney will tell you that. He has NO proof that you did the crime (such as a radar recording (and the fact he said that he didn't radar you is now on camera and demand the recording from the camera of your stop to prove it) will make it that much more not upholdable.

How do I know this? I am a criminal law minor in college as well as I do study laws, AND I actually did this in Ohio coming back from the PA meet in 2010 (and you can ask any of the guys that were with me in the convoy). All of us were doing 100+mph, an officer flags us off the road, he tells us that an airplane detected our speed, and he was going to write us citations. I told him he can cite me but he will be seeing me in court and will not have it pass because of this law. If he wants it to stand, he is to have the pilot land the plane on the highway behind us and have him write the ticket.

Again, this is "HEAR-SAY" and will NOT uphold in court. If you want more info, please ask and I'm sure I will let you know more.:):idea:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Depends.... In MA it's actually NOT legal. Speed traps are against the law here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.