Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me how the corrosion warranty works on our cars

I have a 2008 cobalt, and I found out it has a 6 year, 100,000 mile corrosion warranty

the bottom of both of my passenger doors (the inside lip) are scabbing up, the paint has peeled completely off, and are starting to turn brown with rust

I would like to take care of this before it gets visable and bad, but how does the warranty work, would this be a warranty claim?

I could fix this myself...just another thing on this car I would need to tend to, but if it can be covered under warranty, why not let them do it?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You can do a terrible cover and blend job like the person before me and not tell the person you end up selling it to! Sorry, it's a sore spot for me. I'd call the dealership if there is a warranty.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my father and grandfather owned an auto body shop when I was a kid, I worked there until I was about 22,

I know the right way to do it, although rust is cancer, it's very hard to completely get rid of, and if you don't get rid of all of it, it will come back

that, is one of the things that worries me about getting it fixed under warranty too...will they just do a cheap "lipstick on a pig" fix so that the rust just comes back after the warranty is over?

overall, I just have a bad opinion of GM service due to previous experences...I am not sure this would be any better

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
my father and grandfather owned an auto body shop when I was a kid, I worked there until I was about 22,

I know the right way to do it, although rust is cancer, it's very hard to completely get rid of, and if you don't get rid of all of it, it will come back

that, is one of the things that worries me about getting it fixed under warranty too...will they just do a cheap "lipstick on a pig" fix so that the rust just comes back after the warranty is over?

overall, I just have a bad opinion of GM service due to previous experences...I am not sure this would be any better
Talk to Sarah "ChevyCustSvc" - she works for GM and will help get you settled.

My buddy had the same issue with his Cobalt - they just replaced the door.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Agreed, I will never take my car to a GM mechanic unless it is the only other option. If you have that much experience I would say just do it yourself and save the hastle.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Talk to Sarah "ChevyCustSvc" - she works for GM and will help get you settled.

My buddy had the same issue with his Cobalt - they just replaced the door.
Only problem is he is talking about right behind the door by the wheel well. That is attached to the roof so they will not just replace it.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
the bottom of both of my passenger doors (the inside lip) are scabbing up, the paint has peeled completely off, and are starting to turn brown with rust
Sounds like its on the doors? On the inside lip, as in under the door, but on the vertical lip.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, I will never take my car to a GM mechanic unless it is the only other option. If you have that much experience I would say just do it yourself and save the hastle.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Only problem is he is talking about right behind the door by the wheel well. That is attached to the roof so they will not just replace it.
it's a hassle to do it myself, it's alot of work to do it right

no, it's not behind the wheel well, it's the bottom lips of both passenger doors, they could replace the doors, if they wanted to

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Thats the way I would go then.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That corrosion warranty to be is boguss. If you read the fine print they don't cover surface rust, it has to come from the inside to be covered. I could never get a GM covered except for one vehicle that the clear had peeled (1979 Citation).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coby,

yet another disappointment in GM service, and they wonder why they teetered on the virge of non-existance

I'm going to do a little more research on this...and find out for sure what is covered

my opinion is, their coatings failed, which then caused the rust to be able to form...therefore...it's a fault with the car

I swear, I get more and more disappointed in this car daily...:(

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

from the GM website:

Sheet Metal Coverage
Sheet metal panels are covered against corrosion and rust-through as follows:
Corrosion: Body sheet metal panels are covered against rust for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Rust-Through: Any body sheet metal panel that rusts through. This is an actual hole in the sheet metal and is covered for up to 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first

so, basically it has to look like crap before they will cover it, but if I do nothing, it will look like crap, but will it go to shit before the warranty runs out?

ugh

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
And they will say you failed to wash with a Q-tip and wax the bottom inside of your doors.

They will eventually do it for you if you are persistant, but what kind of work do you do when you are forced in a corner.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
If it's visible it should be covered. My buddy's was...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe you can get Sarah on your side. Hopefully she will still listen after that long page of complaints you left her the other day.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what can I say, I like my car, but all the little stuff is just getting to me

that list of complaints the other day was all the stuff that should have been covered under the "certified" warranty, that the GM dealer here said I had when they sold me the car, then said I didn't have once I went in to redeem it

and people wonder why I have a bad opinion of GM

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Or you need a new dealer.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or you need a new dealer.
oh trust me, I'm not going back there...

but when GM got involved, I sent them all the documentation showing "certified" used car...and they went round and round with me, then, supposibly the dealership replaced the steering column (I still believe they didn't) and blew me off, not ever fixing the main issue that I went to them with, at that point, GM said they had done everything they could

GM is the parent company, the dealership is their representitive, they need to support the customers and solve these issues, because ultimately, it looks bad on them

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
The following is from p. 2 of the 2008 Chevrolet Warranty Manual:
"Corrosion coverage is for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Rust-through coverage is for the first 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first."

Essentially, the sheet metal is protected against rust over the first three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Rust-through coverage would involve an actual hole in the sheet metal, and this kicks in after the 3/36 coverage expires.

I know that this may not be very favorable given the situation, but I had wanted to clarify from the information I had.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand that is the warranty, and I appreciate you clarifying it

I am going to decide if I want to fix it myself, or let it rot

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator