Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i have kind of put my 4x4 look on the back burner of things to get done, but the reason i have put it off so long was because i have heard of issues with adding springs on FE1 shocks that come on LT's like I have.. so

1) Are springs a safe long-term thing to be running on the stock shocks I have?

I have heard that the stocks tend to leak over time due to be compressed more or somthing like that. someone clarify plz.

2) What brand of spring gives a reasonable drop w/o giving that saggy back end look that I hate?

I wanna keep the slightly raked look that our balts come with cuz i personally think it looks like crap when the back is lower than the front. Does anyone have pics of springs that give a decent drop (yes i searched through multiple threads)..

3) Also how much do i have to worry about being dropped in the winter time? is it really as bad as people claim it is?

Help a Suspension newb out!! :bigsmile:

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
get B&G's and cut one full coil off the fronts. I've been on my stock struts/shocks for about a year now.

That's the answer Matt. /thread :p

·
Registered
670 Posts
okay i have kind of put my 4x4 look on the back burner of things to get done, but the reason i have put it off so long was because i have heard of issues with adding springs on FE1 shocks that come on LT's like I have.. so

1) Are springs a safe long-term thing to be running on the stock shocks I have?

I have heard that the stocks tend to leak over time due to be compressed more or somthing like that. someone clarify plz.

2) What brand of spring gives a reasonable drop w/o giving that saggy back end look that I hate?

I wanna keep the slightly raked look that our balts come with cuz i personally think it looks like crap when the back is lower than the front. Does anyone have pics of springs that give a decent drop (yes i searched through multiple threads)..

3) Also how much do i have to worry about being dropped in the winter time? is it really as bad as people claim it is?

Help a Suspension newb out!! :bigsmile:
#1 They will last a little while. Some people claim they last around 20k to 30k on aftermarket springs. I've also read that they have lasted 100k. Rare though.

#2 I think this depends. Seems like everyones stock wheel gap on lt, ls models are all different. If I went 2 inch lower in front, 2.5 lower in back, it would be level for me. Eibach Sportlines are the ones I'm talking about.

#3 I think its only bad if you get lots of snow in the winter, roads are bad. Not really winter related but if there are places where you know you will have to make strong angles on aftermarket springs to pull into without scraping, going real low might not be good. Unless you don't care about hitting all the time.

Hope I somewhat helped. I'm still learning a little more on suspension myself.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I wouldn't worry about being low though Matt. You just gotta know how to drive is all. Remember the first place we stopped to eat when we had the meet? That place had a nasty steep driveway and I remember a bunch of people bottoming out and scraping the crap outta their bumpers on the driveway lol!! I just took it at a steep angle and I didn't scrape at all and my car was by far the lowest car at that meet. Also look at the nasty snow we are getting right now. I'm rocking my balt no problem and I don't even have snow tires on.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I wouldn't worry about being low though Matt. You just gotta know how to drive is all. Remember the first place we stopped to eat when we had the meet? That place had a nasty steep driveway and I remember a bunch of people bottoming out and scraping the crap outta their bumpers on the driveway lol!! I just took it at a steep angle and I didn't scrape at all and my car was by far the lowest car at that meet. Also look at the nasty snow we are getting right now. I'm rocking my balt no problem and I don't even have snow tires on.
I agree man.

·
Registered
692 Posts
as for the winter time i was worried at first but than i see honda civics and and cars like that all the time in the winter with no problem and there lower than are balts lowered on springs..

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K thats good to know with the winter weather.. i was hoping you were going to chime in on that, but i know i push mine in winter alot harder than you probably do, so id be pushing snow big time with the bumper..

if i get this right you got B&G's and cut one full coil out of the front springs? right?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
K thats good to know with the winter weather.. i was hoping you were going to chime in on that, but i know i push mine in winter alot harder than you probably do, so id be pushing snow big time with the bumper..

if i get this right you got B&G's and cut one full coil out of the front springs? right?
correct, and my car sits level now. It doesn't have the slight rake that you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have seen yours dropped on B&G's and dan's car was dropped on these sprint springs. I was talking to him about this too the other day..
SPRINT LOWERING SPRINGS 05 06 07 CHEVY COBALT - eBay (item 190459042969 end time Dec-19-10 20:23:38 PST)

ouch, B&G's arent too cheap lol! hmm

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

I agree you can still drive in snow when lowered. Here was some fun i had last winter in the snow.

that snow is nothing.. im talking like 6-8" on the road at once, yes im dumb enough to still drive my balt in that :unsure:
still looks like fun though!! lol

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
yeah my B&G's were like $214 shipped. I think the price has gone up since then. IMO that's really cheap to lower a car though. I'm used to dealing with air suspension that costs thousands of dollars lol

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anyone here much on shocks blowing out on people on here from being lowered? thats my #1 worry.. i really dont wanna have to replace those if i dont gotta

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

yeah my B&G's were like $214 shipped. I think the price has gone up since then. IMO that's really cheap to lower a car though. I'm used to dealing with air suspension that costs thousands of dollars lol
yea they are like $247 shipped now.. the others that dan has are like $100 less... hmm.. college student income = tough decisions too lol

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
my car is a snow plow on wheels

get fe5 shocks/struts
ground force is where it's at if you wanna keep the rake, as well as pedders.
progress springs are cheap and didn't bind up on me or damage the struts but it didn't keep the rake. ssc was a pretty even drop, exactly like the progress springs but a little stiffer of a ride and same price. ground force came with camber bolts which was nice, but they are more expensive and for a few more bucks you can get pedders which are (from what i hear) great for the track and absolutely 100% do not bind up. i'm on coilovers now and would never go back to drop springs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I picked up a set of Canuck Motorsport lowering springs a few weeks ago, and they lower the front 2" and the back 1.5", so there will be no saggy ass syndrome with these springs. I like the raked look too but to each his own. I hope to have my springs on next month when I get some time to install them.

Oh, and they only cost me $160 for the set, tax included.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.