Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have an issue that i have never seen before and I don't know how to go about fixing it and or find the originating issue.

My issue is that the fire has cracked around the master cylinder for the clutch. It will no longer hold the master cylinder in place and i have to start my car in gear to be able to drive and then float the gears to shift. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the master cylinder and welded up the fire wall but it broke again in less than 24hours after pickin my balt up. The service tech said that there is an extreme amount of pressure build up the hydraulic system from the stage2 clutch from exedy and that is what is causing the issues.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so how was it fixed? HELP PLEASE QUICK!

·
Registered
567 Posts
so the stealership is telling you a stage 2 clutch kit is bustin' the firewall? ummmmm....... lemme go get my boots.....be right back....and if this is the case wow way to go GM for using sum cheap ass pop can aluminum for the FIREWALL!!! dont that make u feel safe!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I fail to see how a clutch has anything to do with the firewall.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
I fail to see how a clutch has anything to do with the firewall.
It does not and this is total BS, OP you need to grab your tent and drive to the dealership, Park in front of the garage door, set up your tent and camp out untill the POS Gm Techs at that dearership fixes your car. It is an enclosed system and it has nothing to do with the mounting hardware or brackets that hold the mastercylinder.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was another balt on css and g5club that
had this exact same problem with a stage 2 clutch.
Firewall cracked around the master cylinder.
thats exactly what happened to mine! how was the issue solved?

·
Registered
360 Posts
This kid bought the car from a dealer like that.
They welded it up and it broke again right away.
It took him a while to get them to buy it
back from him, which they finally did.
So it sounds like you'd need to do more than
just weld it back up.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
This kid bought the car from a dealer like that.
They welded it up and it broke again right away.
It took him a while to get them to buy it
back from him, which they finally did.
So it sounds like you'd need to do more than
just weld it back up.
Sounds like they must have done a terrible welding job.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Sounds like they must have done a terrible welding job.
The problem with the firewall is that it is a high stress area. Unless your welding skills are top notch, it will be likely that the weld will break. When the firewall is compromised, generally the car will be totaled (If the insurance company knows about it) because of the problems it causes and the cost to actually fix it. Even dented firewalls will cause the insurance to total the car out.

The average dealership/garage will not have welders with the type of skill required to create welds strong enough to withstand the stress forces that the firewall must endure. I highly doubt that any of the dealership techs that do the welds would even remotely pass an ultrasound test of their welds. In other words, their welds are of rather poor quality with a large amount of defects that make that particular weld joint rather weak.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The problem with the firewall is that it is a high stress area. Unless your welding skills are top notch, it will be likely that the weld will break. When the firewall is compromised, generally the car will be totaled (If the insurance company knows about it) because of the problems it causes and the cost to actually fix it. Even dented firewalls will cause the insurance to total the car out.
I am a heavy duty mechanic and a welder i understand that. And your absolutely right about the dealerships not always have the correct gear. But if it breaks right away after they welded it, then their welding standards are far below average.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I'd like to see a GM dealer that even has a welder. That is not a tool that they use or even need 95% of the time. Where I work if we need something welded we send it out to the local welding shop and that is a very rare occasion.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I'd like to see a GM dealer that even has a welder. That is not a tool that they use or even need 95% of the time. Where I work if we need something welded we send it out to the local welding shop and that is a very rare occasion.
That would be smart for each company to start having a welder on staff, the reason I had to learn to weld was it was costing the company i worked for to much many to constantly send in machines/parts to be welded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.