Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on my way to class the other day a tanker truck driving the other direction decided to shoot a rock at my windshield. It started out as a small crack and is slowly maturing to the beautiful design you see... anyway I called my insurance company, which said to call safe lite, an auto glass repair company. It's $500 to repair but with insurance I have to pay $200. Are there any cheaper options for this crack? I am a poor college kid that works less than 20 hours a week. If I can just get it to stop getting larger I'd be happy for now. Thanks!

[/IMG]

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cheapest way is to pay the $200 deductible and have it fixed. If you don't the cops will ticket you and it'll only cost more.

Or do like my own poor college kid would do and ask dad to pay for it ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Cheapest way is to pay the $200 deductible and have it fixed. If you don't the cops will ticket you and it'll only cost more.

Or do like my own poor college kid would do and ask dad to pay for it ;-)
I hate asking for money lol

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
depending the insurance company you have - GEICO replaces the windshield for free.. to minimize any risk.
I have Allstate. They are great to us, usually. I guess the problem was that I couldn't get a license plate number on the truck. They said they would pay for $300 of it out of $500. Currently the windshield is cracked still and it got worse. I just paid my car payment and didn't have money to get it fixed afterwards. Lol like I said poor college student

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a while back. I've actually still not replaced the windshield. Mine just started as a chip, which I should have gotten sealed instantly (but I'm an idiot) and now it's turned into a crack about 8" long. I'm also going to have to pay a $200 deductible...all because I'm stupid and didn't get it sealed when I had the chance.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
A lot of these windshield places will give a lower price if you don't go through insurance. I just had my Mitsubishi Outlander windshield replaced, insurance deductible for the $580 job was $300, so I asked him how much for a cash deal. They installed the same windshield for $260 cash. Win-Win.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. After the holidays I'll call and ask them how much cash. My mechanic said it will pass inspection because it's low on the windshield, so I'm not too worried about it right now. It can't spread any more cause it already went down to the bottom of the window, so I guess for now I'm OK. I was told if you put clear nail polish over the crack it will stop it from spreading, but I was afraid the insurance company would say that makes it NY fault or something

·
Registered
100 Posts
So glad when my father got insurance he has glass covered. I've had my fair share of problems. Caught a rock driving behind a dump truck once, also one time I was mowing grass for someone and stupid me pushed the lawnmower by the car(mind you I was pushing it along the edge of a dirt driveway. Rock right into the rear passenger side window I think.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So glad when my father got insurance he has glass covered. I've had my fair share of problems. Caught a rock driving behind a dump truck once, also one time I was mowing grass for someone and stupid me pushed the lawnmower by the car(mind you I was pushing it along the edge of a dirt driveway. Rock right into the rear passenger side window I think.
That would be nice to have

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Would that count as a claim? After two in the same year, your insurance premium goes up. At least that's how it works in Quebec.

I have a rock chip in my window. Put some superglue into it and covered it up with a sticker (CECM parking permit that expired in 1997) It's been over a year and it hasn't spread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well now what u do it buy a 4" sub and tell everybody that hops in the car that the bass did that to it... its the only thing u can do to be honest.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In my state the police don't care about cracks. They care about inspection stickers. Assuming you don't know of a place that will give you a sticker even though you have a crack, and if you have a sticker in effect for a year or two, then I would ask any small private body shop owner if he would give you the number of his glass man. This is frequently a man who works part time or on the side. Now you have bought yourself some time and got someone lined up who will install one for you cheap when the time comes and you can look for a good deal on a NOS or used glass while you are paying tuition. Been there, Done that. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.