Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I apologize if this is in the wrong spot, Im pretty new to the forum posting world.

I have an 08 Cobalt LT, crank windows, stick, none of the fixings. After I purchased the car I decided that it had to have cruise control. I looked up all sorts of different forum posts for info on the cruise control and am confident that I have hooked up everything correctly. The steering wheel came from an 08 HHR, and the cruise button was replaced just to make it look better (No missing paint etc.). The wires tap into the radio (That works fine) and into the correct pin on the BCM.

I took it to the dealer and they said there wasn't any option on the Tech 2 to turn it on, but he was kind enough to offer to keep trying if I brought in some instructions. I went home and printed off the general ones that say to build the car and select cruise as an existing option. When I was at the dealer today we sat there and worked through the instructions but there was no option to do module replacement/setup. We decided that BCM was possibly the correct option, selected that, and then another option on that submenu that I cannot recall for the life of me. The only option it showed was to select tire size, and thats where our quest ended. Im kind of stumped on this one, and have not been able to find any more info on sub-menu's of the tech 2.

Im so close!!!!!! Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Kegan

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Reactions: Parthros

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So coby your saying its not possible and to just put an aftermarket one on/eat the cost of the steering wheel and other parts?

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

GAH! Let me eat my words on that one, didn't see the tech 2 screenshots on that...... -_-
However, like I said it only had options for tire size. Also come to think of it the pictures from "vehicle identification" to "body control module" appear to be different. Could that be because the tech 2 needed a software update, or the difference in an 07(pictured) to an 08 (mine)?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
When the tire size menu comes up just say yes, just say yes to all until you come to the cruise menu then just highlight cruise enable and press save.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The TechII is old technology, it doesn't have drop-down menus. It has menus within menus so you have to keep going. You were almost there, sometimes Yes doesn't seem to be the right answer to continue but there's no other answer.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Okay went through the motions this morning for you.

Say yes but the button under the highlighted YES and not the yes button.

Press ''ENTER'' to continue

Say yes but again the button under the highlighted YES and not the yes button

Press the button under the highlighted ''Continue''

You made it to here yesterday Press the button under the highlighted ''Save Options''

Press the button under the highlighted ''Save Options''

Press the button under the highlighted ''Save Options''

And voilà, use the up down arrow to highlight cruise,then press the enter button then press the button under the highlighted ''Save Options''

You will get and asterixis beside cruise when selected to be enabled.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Once again Coby is CORRECT!!! I just had my 2009 done using similar instructions which I printed out for the dealer. They swore up and down it WOULD not work, there fore they didn't want to try.

My dad used to work there and retired about 15 yrs back..... So when we told a guy he trained as an apprentice to give it a go and I would PAY them for half hour of time even if it didn't work. He agreed to try.

Took less than 5 minutes including driving the car into the bay and hooking up the TechII.

I said to the mechanic I should charge you guys for showing you folks how it is done, as pretty much the same thing can be done to a lot of GM drive by wire models.

A puller who worked at the yard where I got my leather wheel just did the same thing on his Cruze..... The counter guy was saying I needed the wiring, and servos blah blah blah. I laughed and said good luck finding a servo on 2009 Cobalt if you do I will buy it... and we got into a bit of an argument LOL. Then the puller came in and explained how simple it was. I was thankful as that was the only yard within quite a few miles that had a leather wheel with both radio and cruise buttons for under 50.00 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Thanks for the pat on the back, always nice to feel appreciated.

Reactions: Parthros

·
Registered
496 Posts
:frown:So folks,
Daughters 05 has gone to Cobalt heaven :frown:l
I think it was a blond thing about catching a parked car at 50mph. She said she saw the passanger air bag take out the windshield.
Any way, she's well and now using a 98 Buick till something better happens. So... On to the subject...

Just purchased an 08 LS 5 speed and wish to get cusie controll for it,
1: Other than the steering wheel with the controls. ( what years work and modles will fit). and
2: Colby7's detailed Tech2 instructions
What ther parts are needed? Now back to my Colbalt digging.

And again to all. Thanks for the posts.
1966tbird

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Would rather keep it all right out of the gm platform so that when a simple switch goes out at least the next poor smuck could get it repaired at the Cheby dealer.
PS found a great leather wheel with both radio & cruise buttons. Looks as if the air bag is a direct bolt in. While there think it would be best to take care of the turn signal is zeroing.

So i take it the BCM does all the processing?
Is there a separate clutch p switch?
If i had a pm i would telephone and learm more!

Ok then
Looks as if all of the answers are over at cobaltss under factory cruise control

Could be a very low price upgrade

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The only thing you have to look for if you want to go factory is make sure there is a wire on pin 61 of connector 2 in BCM. Otherwise you will have to run a wire in the steering column.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Say Coby7
You wouldnt have the wiring diagram for the cruise / radio switches to radio & bcm?
Those color coded wiring diagrams you shared for the 05 engine electrical were fantastic and allowed me to quickly find bad head light power connector at the bulb.

Sure could use the same for the 08. And are they the same 07-10?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Let me see what I can find. 07-10 are all the same.

Well, seems it depends on the radio, which steering controls do you have on the wheel?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for the come back Coby7
BTW nice article on cruise install.

Found out today i have the upgraded sound system (radio cd mp3) found No 6 disk.
Right now only have basic DIC switches on stock 08 LS steering wheel.
Found antena lead disconnected in trunk yet FM is working....The car was delivered just before dark last night.

I do have a full cruise/radio leather steering wheel on it's way in from San Antonio with plans to try to get it installed. It should be in in 2-3 days
Since i have,not pulled the wheel, dont know if the 4 extra wires are in the clock spring of if they will need to be fabbed and installed.

Also found out last night R F low beam inop hi works new bulb on hand.
Looking for threads on blend door actuator behind glove box, the 3rd brake light fuse or wires and finaly (hopefully) one tire pressure monitor not reporting.

One other thing.
Speaking with a gentleman about his Leather SS interior thought are door panels with power locks /windows his bcm.
Heading out,searching on tire pressure 3rd light
//

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
For the blend door, I don't think you want to bother fixing that since you practically have to tear down the whole dash to get to it. You should just do what I did and disconnect the wire from the HVAC control so it stays on fresh air. Unless you have hands smaller than a 4 year old. I just pull the wire out of the connector and never heard it again. That was really annoying.

If you pull light-green/black wire pin 5 out of the HVAC connector, the blend door will stop trying to close when it's already closed. How many times have you ever used the re-circulation button anyways. I had 3 Cobalts and never used that option once.

·
Registered
496 Posts

Thanks Coby7
Between emails found 1 of the hi-brake light bulbs as a 2 piece affair, the other 2 were black from gas leak crack. Had to get 2 2- pack bulbs.
Turned out one of those 4 were bad..end result....All 3 hi brake lights now work.

On the blend door.
Pulled the glove box and looked harder- looking for the actuator, identified the clicking as the fresh air/ recirc door that was making the noise.
The air filter looks original....black as pitch and full of ........ready to grow a fresh crop of mush rooms.

Cleaning up what debris i could and cycling the fresh air switch several tims, sans air filter.....
No more clicking!!
Installed new air filter and checked that off the list.

I thought the last item was finding a new 4-way flasher sitch. This ones' was MIA.
Found new replacemenrs on-line from $~10 to $40 rock auto seemed best value for switch & clip.
Yet, switch alown was more?? Go figure. Still any of them would be tomorrow. And all the local options were in the +$30 range.
Gotta finish something today

Looking for the connector, there must be a wire somewhere. Found it attached to noneother than the flasher switch with mounting clip---Ha!
Best guess as to how it snapped back in place using my 6-year old size hands along with a set of 8" forceps. That was painful not able to see how it was designed to snap in. Ya know, without seeing beforehand how it needed to snap in, ther are 4 different ways to try.
Only 1 is correct. finaly found it after...way too many tries

So with that it's ready for state /smog inspection. Seems everythings ready
All paperwork in hand
No code showing
All IM ready monitors OK
Mill light out. What! TPMS check.?? One of the 4 yields--- ??? Well poo!
Tire looks,good. Looks like,..I week old Yokohamas.
Oil could be cahnged but not needed today
So off we go.

Everything is great finaly see the hi break light. Only 2 of the 3 lit. No prob pop the boot the spare is right there. 15 sec later all 3 are go! Great validated paperwork Vin reentered, checked clean, no wants, warrents,insurance checks bur wait....
Bad news
Window tint at .17. Not good. Must be .25 or higher.
No pass go
Must remove window tint. Bummer
PS that nifty window tint installed across top of the wind shield is only allow down 5" from the top of the out side of the glass
So its must be removed or trimed
So
Thanking Coby7 for the sdhematics posted in 2012 on the brake light.
Tucked tail and returned home hopping i wasnt spotted driving without plates

What a wonderful day.
Learned much and remenbered how hard it is to keep a dark car looking clean.

Hope you enjoyed today as much as i

PS what is the default font and size
Hope

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.