Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my cruise control is out. When I press the button to turn it on, the light comes on on the steering wheel. But when I hit 'set' to actually engage it, nothing shows up on the driver information screen on my tach. I've tried ignition cycles and disconnecting and reconnecting my battery terminals. Is there some sort of relay that controls JUST the cruise control? Nothing else is faulty at this time.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
hmmm....silly question but is the middle bulb of your 3rd tail light burnt out? If it is then there is your problem...

Otherwise I am absolutley no help for you! Good luck!

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
That, or did you install an LED one with an incorrect resistance?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure MP is right on the money. Suggestions? I recently spliced some red LEDs into the existing wiring.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You'd have to wire in a resistor. If it's your 3rd brake light you added LED's to you could also leave the regular middle bulb in (I believe that will give you enough resistance). Or you could put an impala/monte carlo LED brake light in; they have enough resistance built in already.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine had the exact same problem. what you need to do is reset all the control modules for your car.

Steps:
1: Disconnesct your car from the battery. Negative and positive.
2: Touch the the negative battery cable to the positive cable for about 15 sec.. This will clear everythhing, reset all control modules and wipe your computer clean of any coedes.
3: Reconnect your battery and go test drive. see if it worked.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Power = Voltage times voltage over resistor value. So 3Ω is to low. 14.3X14.3/3 = 68 watts = fire.

Where exactly did you splice these LEDs in circuit? Splicing LEDs should not affect electrical path of the cruise control. But if you replaced all 3 high brake bulbs or your actual brake lights without paralleling each with a 7.5Ω resistor at 50 watts your cruise will not come on plus your blinkers won't work properly ( they will flicker fast).

One 7.5Ω for all three not each high brake bulb.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You responders are right, if you mess with the third taillight, it stops the cruise. I think there is some kind of load balancer to correct the problem or leave at least one standard bulb in for load.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.