Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been modding the balt for awhile now and i think its time for a exhaust. first i want to get something hardly anyone has thats where i need help. i am currently ordering the hks carbon ti-exaust tip. but i dont want to just weld it to the cheap stock exhaust. i want to with at least a 2.25 piping. i've read that the ss/sc exhaust would mount right up to the base models. i also heard that they come with a 2.25 piping. would it be best to just buy a ss/sc exhaust and weld the hks to the 2.25 piping. or would be best to have it done by a shop. im not looking towards the shop cuz i know they'll charge up the wha-zoo to get it done. im looking to gain some hp and torque out if it as well something better then stock. your input would help out alot thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd say if you can get an SS/SC exhaust, just go with that. The muffler won't help out that much. But if you have a welder, it's not rocket science...

·
Registered
594 Posts
when I got my custom exhaust system done on my car it cost me only 90 dollars for the shop to do

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
really dang thats cheap does it look nice? you sure that they just didn't use the same exhaust? i asked and there wanting to charge me like 400 for a custom exhaust to do the bends and everything. thats just to do a cat-back system to.

·
Registered
594 Posts
no its 2.5 exhaust they litterely took off the old one I saw them replace it completely.I just had to grab the muffler which is from dynomax which looks like a stock muffler.you're just getting riped off,don't go to meineke at all they wanted to charge me 400 dollars for a custom downpipe which only cost a 100 dollars to do.You have to find a shop that doesn't charge labor at all

·
Registered
594 Posts
well the shop I went to couldn't make a downpipe which is kind of funny,so I have to go and buy a downpipe that will fit the pacesetter header I have(not the cheap pacesetter header either).What they did was make the 2.5 exhaust system and stop where the downpipe is at until I get that replace.the place I went to is a actual muffler shop to but run by mexicans.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am located in Illinois actually,I forgot my camera in my friends car which I wont see until Friday to show you a picture of it,I have no resanator on it,but I don't care since its a little raspy nothing major.The piping was put on perfectly actually, its not hanging low or anything.I don't feel any restrictions though which I am fine with.I probably gained some horsepower,but the only way you will notice a difference is when you put on a stainless steel performance header,new downpipe high flow cat or catless, new exhaust system,and a sri/cai

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i want to get it done with 2.25 piping. did they do the bends there? or did they just piece up pre-cut piping? yeah im not looking for nothin big in hp gains for a cat back system just at least 7-10 or something. just to let the motor breath. im plannin on gettin the dc sport header later and a high flow cat on. and the jet performance chip so yeah im just wonder but thanks for your time bro.

·
Registered
594 Posts
what was strange was they already had the piping where it fit perfectly with out them having to bend it,since it was pre-bended it seemed.From the exhaust alone it should be about 7hp or so since they're isn't restrictions,I had the sri from K&N installed first to get that out of the way,and when I got custom exhaust done it made a difference with my car running smoother,but I am sure when I get the header and downpipe replaced,then I will notice a difference of the car moving.Yeah no problem feel free to message me anytime.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
aight man cool thanks yeah i think ill hit up some other shop and see wat they say. tell that shop just to send me a pre-bent exhaust tubing lol that way all i have to do is weld the hks tip and bolt it up the the car lol.

·
Registered
594 Posts
if you have a velasques and sons shop,just go to them that is where I went to get a custom exhaust system,you have to avoid the shops that are popular because they will do anything to charge you over the cost of what it should be.Hell meineke is like well your header is 16 inch's long and it probably wont fit the 02 sensor bla bla and it will work just that we have to charge you over 400 dollars for a 4 hour job duuurrrr,they're full of shit and just want to make as much money as they can off of you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i know wat you mean they think your stupid and think they can trick you sayin you need and that to get it done so yeah. theres not that many shops here thats why i was askin about pre-bent exhaust and stuff or do it your self kind of thing or the ss/sc way lol so yeah. i want something good that doesnt have like bend ripples and something thats goin to last.

·
Registered
594 Posts
yeah they're retarded,but I found someone who made a downpipe specificly for pacesetter for 215 dollars,so I am going to have go that route now.I don't know of to many shops here that even do custom exhausts,if you can't find anyone then you might have to with the catback system.You can find some for a reasonable pricing at neverenoughauto since its free shipping

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
aight man thanks bro. if you need any help with something just hit me up i can do the best i can. do you think that shop you went to would sent that pre-bent exhaust they used on your balt?

·
Registered
594 Posts
hmmm that I don't know honestly.Most shops want to do it and charge you something for them to do it ya know

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah i know wat you mean. lol how many posts do you have to put in order not to be called a newbie lol. if only there was a shop that could sell the pre-bent piping for vehicles.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think it is number 75 actually until it is switched to something else.You might have to do some research on google honestly.I did it with the downpipe but I don't really know how to weld or anything like that,usually google is good for answers depending on how you ask it.Right now I am having a hard time finding a original motor for the 1968 gto I will be buying soon lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.