Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After swapping out LED's over and over in my HVAC (4 of them at this point!) I decided to try to design a PCB (Personal Circuit Board) overlay and customize it even further.

I have one completed in Red/Orange/Yellow, and I am making another tonight in Purple and Red for my wifes car.

Not too many pics currently, but I'll snap some more tonight while I make the 2nd board.

For now though....

Custom PCB:

PCB with Power:

PCB in HVAC:

*NOTE* The numbers in the center do light up, its just a crappy pic with my phone
Also, the colors are quite uniform, its just the quality of the pics

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parts alone are about $50, plus the first took probably 4 hours to finish.
Id say $80 would be fair

I'm just about to start the second one right now :)

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
I'd pay $80 (+ shipping) for one! Where do we order lol

Sent from my PG86100

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to see what it will actually cost...thats just a rough guess. I'm making a purple one right now and i'm two hours in and just starting to solder now.

There would be only two connections to solder onto the OEM board, no way around this. Very easy to install though, even with no soldering experience.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

They sent me the wrong color LED's.....I'm not very happy! Got half of it soldered, tested it (my bad for not testing it first thing I guess) and theyre yellow not purple. Uhg!

But I'm thinking $80 + shipping would be a good price. Shipping should be like $5-10 in USA or Canada. Won't make much profit at all, but its a fun little project.
I can do em in any color as well, but the filters behind the HVAC may dilute the color.

Let me know what you think :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Looks like your working for minimum pay then, good deal.

After your done selling to "beta testers" so to speak, I would charge $100 even for them.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Yea I was about say $100.+ shipping so you can make profit,I rather you get paid for your hard work

Sent from my PG86100

·
Registered
924 Posts
You should make a custom PCB kit, for all the lights, for example, a "Red Kit" it would come with the PCBs for the HVAC, Power door locks/windows and cluster, and if you dare, steering wheel control... Sell it all for about $400, it should only cost about $100 in parts, you make $300 on labor and anyone would buy it for about $400 IMO. I would, if I didn't have any soldering skills.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
looks alright post better pics
my LED hvac is BOSS
yours is deff looking better stock!
l leave mine here

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Having fun doing it is what counts. You can always improve after. I give him a B for effort.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The Climate control area looks nice, as for the cluster, we can't really tell, it could easily be a bad shot that causes that, looks like your photo is out of focus.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What you cant see in my picture from a dusty cell phone, is that its 3 colors. The knob indicators are orange, the blue on the temp gauge is yellow that fades to orange then to red, and the remainder is in red. The numbers show perfectly fine, just not in the picture...you can clearly see that from the shot of it outside of the HVAC.

I've made probably 5 HVAC's with just LED swapping and none compare to this board. I've done LED swaps in red, blue, and purple and they dont have a similar uniform color. I can tell yours is a LED swap for that same reason.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

You should make a custom PCB kit, for all the lights, for example, a "Red Kit" it would come with the PCBs for the HVAC, Power door locks/windows and cluster, and if you dare, steering wheel control... Sell it all for about $400, it should only cost about $100 in parts, you make $300 on labor and anyone would buy it for about $400 IMO. I would, if I didn't have any soldering skills.
The window and locks and thumb controls need to be an LED swap, theres no room for a new PCB

I might consider this for HVAC and speedo gauges though as theyre the next project. This is definitely more 'for fun' than to make money though. I'd rather see happy cobalt owners with 'pretty colors' rather than a fat wallet, just like I'd have no problem helping someone install something in their cars just to help out.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Better? Still looks cleaner in person

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
you do have alot of potential! yes maby the pics you posted suck ill give you that.
post up some more pics i do give you the credit. its alot of trial and error i can gaurentee it!
but after messing with it you will get it how you want it

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a blue one done with red heater controls. Turned out pretty good
Connecting it is a matter of a few dabs of glue and 2 solder points.

My computer is giving me the finger right now and wont read my cameras memory card...I'll see if I can get pics shortly.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
That looks bad ass. I need to try my hand at this once I move into my oversized garage in July!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.