Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing up with my intake manifold (i still got to weld the flange on and grind and polish it) tell me guys what you think about it, manifold it self is a (3 inch wide, 11 1/2 inch long ) is it to small?/too long?/is it enough volume, if the runners( 1 1/2 inch wide, 4 1/2 long) are too long/to short/too wide? any criticism or notations will help.... also what kinda stuff should i spray inside to keep it from rusting maybe some kinda silicone, plastic or ceramic paint or what ever

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I like the effort. but...

($aftermarket < $homemade +risk) ...something so key in the engine and N2O injection seems like quite a gamble. BUT I know nothing of welding, so if you feel comfortable...it looks pretty slick man, if it works out I'd love to see the finished product.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
well you should try mig welding with gas...aka no flux core wire. the runners may be a little long, nothing to worry about though. i think you should just buy the log manifold and save yourself the headache man. i know the gratification when you build something yourself but this is the kind of thing aftermarket manufacturers take a long time designing/building with lots of flow testing and such. good luck you got the right idea!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the effort. but...

($aftermarket < $homemade +risk) ...something so key in the engine and N2O injection seems like quite a gamble. BUT I know nothing of welding, so if you feel comfortable...it looks pretty slick man, if it works out I'd love to see the finished product.
lol don't worry there's no risk cause it's metal i already got sick of wondering if that plastic manifold will be blow out every time i shot nitrous oxide besides its almost the same as hahn intake it's just i made this one for $60 including all the fittings for vacuum/boost gauge, brake booster and other two lines the hahn one is $700+ comes without fittings its looks like up to quarter inch aluminum TIGged together so it might actually weight even more then my intake but yes before i post a DIY i will test it out just to make sure that i am showing you how to do it right and it won't damage your engine

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

well you should try mig welding with gas...aka no flux core wire. the runners may be a little long, nothing to worry about though. i think you should just buy the log manifold and save yourself the headache man. i know the gratification when you build something yourself but this is the kind of thing aftermarket manufacturers take a long time designing/building with lots of flow testing and such. good luck you got the right idea!
i know MIG works so much better but i need a torch for it and a regulator :(

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i do most of my welding flux core cause i always run out of argon, but when it comes to stuff like this i always use gas. like my coilovers, i used gas to make nice clean welds this way no one questions them when i get the car inspected. you can make them nice with a grinder, but there will always be air pockets weakening the shit out of the welds and leaving lots of room for leaks. tig welding might be heavy, but its because there's no air pockets and it's a thick sturdy weld.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i do most of my welding flux core cause i always run out of argon, but when it comes to stuff like this i always use gas. like my coilovers, i used gas to make nice clean welds this way no one questions them when i get the car inspected. you can make them nice with a grinder, but there will always be air pockets weakening the shit out of the welds and leaving lots of room for leaks. tig welding might be heavy, but its because there's no air pockets and it's a thick sturdy weld.
o i am not talking about heavy or bad welds with a TIG i was saying that on the hahn intake they used a quarter inch aluminum plating and that could be heavy lol i'd love to TIG weld an aluminum intake manifold but i would use a bit thinner metal, yea dude i got your point i did find out that if you put flux on high with wire speed on 4 that makes pretty nice clean weld without any air pockets well i will grind it seal the runners and throttle flange and put a water house in it turn the water on and little water streams will indicate where the leaks at (i learned that from " how water heaters are made") bahahaha

·
Registered
103 Posts
just buy one before you blow your shit up. better to spend $700 on an intake then a couple grand on a new motor. besides a cheap job yelds a cheap result. going to all this trouble to make more power may have the opposite result. like my daddy told me "if you're going to do something, do it right"

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
ZZP's 2.4 is in the 11's on the stock intake manifold.

Don't use this.

What kind of calculations did you do for intake runner length? Plenum volume? I don't know how to do that crap, but i know it's important for sure.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ya ya ya ya i hear what you saying TODAY I SAID **** MY FLUX CORE POS so the project is a little bit stuck I ordered a TIG/plasma cutter welder and aluminum sheets so there ya go i will get if finished in two weeks both intake and mild steel exhaust turbo manifold once i get my TIG i did couple of updates on the intake and extended wires for the MAF sensor to have intake going on the other side the intake collector will be almost the same volume as stock but the runners will be shorter then stock (cause they are like 10" long i was amazed when i looked inside this POS plastic gm crap) also i finally found out where i had vacuum leak(side of the intake separated where it was glued) so there ya go this project is not going the way i want it but i got to agree TIG welds aluminum and mild steel much better then anything else and yes i am taking that shitty engine dumper off IT DOES WORK but looks like shit so ef that i will get a shitty rubber one of ebay for $20 tear it apart and make a polyurethane bushings for it (just like weapon r ones)i will update once i get everything done in about 2 weeks...... god i am so tired :sad2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.