Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 chevy cobalt. I took my key to the local hardware store who can cut chipped and non-chipped keys, and they made a key, and it can unlock the doors, but it will not turn the ignition cylinder at all. Should this be happening? I know it's not programmed right now, but the cylinder should still turn shouldn't it?

Also, my original key doesn't have a '+' sign on it, but the key they gave me has one. I was told the 2005 has a transponder in it, but if so why doesn't my key have a + sign on it?

The instructions I was given for programming the new key are:

insert original key, turn key to run, turn key to off (Do this 3 times)

remove original key, insert new key within 3 seconds, and turn to 'on', and it will program the key.

The problem with that, is that I can't turn the new key in the ignition, even though it works in the doors. What could be the problem?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is your new key just a regular cut key or is it one that needs to be programmed? I have an '06' that I have a regular cut key in a "hide a key" that will open all locks but will not start the car. I got a programmed key for my wife and my original key has the + on it but hers does not and it took less than a minute to program it. If i remember right, you can only program a certain amount of keys before you have to take it to the dealer to get it reset.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have a 2005 chevy cobalt. I took my key to the local hardware store who can cut chipped and non-chipped keys, and they made a key, and it can unlock the doors, but it will not turn the ignition cylinder at all. Should this be happening? I know it's not programmed right now, but the cylinder should still turn shouldn't it?

Also, my original key doesn't have a '+' sign on it, but the key they gave me has one. I was told the 2005 has a transponder in it, but if so why doesn't my key have a + sign on it?

The instructions I was given for programming the new key are:

insert original key, turn key to run, turn key to off (Do this 3 times)

remove original key, insert new key within 3 seconds, and turn to 'on', and it will program the key.

The problem with that, is that I can't turn the new key in the ignition, even though it works in the doors. What could be the problem?
The 05 had a different generation of transponders. 2006+ (With the "+" on the key) has Passkey III. The 2005's were Passlock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the service manual, the 2005 had a special one called the ION passlock. It was a special version of the passlock system that requires a special module not available with aftermarket remote start systems (But can be purchased seperately).

It hooks up to the keysense module on the system, and it sends a signal to the ecm to mimic a key being in the ignition during startup. (As the original system has a switch in the ignition cylinder that lets the car know a key is in the ignition during startup)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.