Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got pulled over for my custom megan racing catback earlier today so now I have to change my exhaust. I already have the 2.25 back from the cat so I am looking for a muffler and tip. I know that the muffler on the Magnaflow catback is a 5x8x18 oval body muffler, so I am looking at that. My question is should I put on a resonator after the cat somewhere to quiet the exhaust down. I don't want to hinder the flow that i have now, and I still want to keep some of the performance I gained. And also with this I would like to quiet down the cruising speed on interstate cause thats where I got pulled over, damn staties meeting there end of the month quota!!! Any input from you guys would be great, and one more thing, I want it to look stock as possible. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
257 Posts
there is a insignificant amount of HP gained or lost from removing the resonator...in fact i dont understand why you would remove the resonator. and yes the res is supposed to go behind the cat.

removing the res would proly make it God awful loud and raspy. Do yourself a favor and return the megan cat back to the way it was.

Also you need to read up on exhaust flow....just a suggestion please dont get butt hurt from this post

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
there is a insignificant amount of HP gained or lost from removing the resonator...in fact i dont understand why you would remove the resonator. and yes the res is supposed to go behind the cat.

removing the res would proly make it God awful loud and raspy. Do yourself a favor and return the megan cat back to the way it was.

Also you need to read up on exhaust flow....just a suggestion please dont get butt hurt from this post
i would suggest keeping the res. I myself have replaced it with a cherrybomb, and straight piped it after that, and had some complaints. As for the muffler, if you want to keep a bit of a note to the car, but avoid getting caught for noise violation, my suggestion would be a magnaflow muffler, or even a flowmaster. Dont skimp on your exhaust, get it done right.

hey alpha, are you a mechanic by chance?

·
Registered
257 Posts
i would suggest keeping the res. I myself have replaced it with a cherrybomb, and straight piped it after that, and had some complaints. As for the muffler, if you want to keep a bit of a note to the car, but avoid getting caught for noise violation, my suggestion would be a magnaflow muffler, or even a flowmaster. Dont skimp on your exhaust, get it done right.

hey alpha, are you a mechanic by chance?
Define mechanic...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
no not at all....i just know how to read and have a certain interest in things....you know a tuner.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
lol, ok, just wondering. i see a fair bit of useful info coming from ya and just wanted to check for another mechanic:p

·
Registered
257 Posts
lol, ok, just wondering. i see a fair bit of useful info coming from ya and just wanted to check for another mechanic:p
na, i just like taking things apart and find extra stuff after i'm done putting it back together.:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good info. This is a Custom exhaust (Custom bent pipe from a local shop with a megan racing muffler) that has been on the car for about a year, didnt really think it would be this loud once broken in, and as most kits come with what resemble a resonator right after the cat. I probly should have put one of those on when I did the system. As for the muffler muffler I was lookin at gettin a magnaflow 5x8x18 then just throwin a magnaflow tip on to finish her off. But just to clarify, the resonator should be after the cat. towards the rear of the car, cause I am pretty sure the shop chopped that off. It is not at all raspy though, just ridiculously loud.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"....just a suggestion please dont get butt hurt from this post"

And no, I don't get easily but hurt, I take it as constructive criticism.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well in North Dakota the laws are pretty relaxed, especially being everybody and their brother has a straight piped pickup. The worst part is a pickup went by after I got pulled over that was a hell of a lot louder than my car ever will be. But I am gonna quiet her down tomorrow with a magnaflow and a new resonator.

·
Registered
257 Posts
the flow of an exhaust goes from

engine exhaust ports>header>down pipe>cat>pipe>res>pipe>Muffler

·
Registered
594 Posts
the only way people get pulled over here with a loud exhaust is when they don't have one at all,but when kids with their civics pass by in a weed whacker,thats ok though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I took her in to the exhaust shop this morning. I am putting in a magnaflow muffler with a magnaflow tip. This all connects to the cat-back thats already there. I will see how that sounds then decide whether or not to put a res. back in, if its gone.... Thanks for all the advice Alpha, I was having a major brain fart last night!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
the flow of an exhaust goes from

engine exhaust ports>header>down pipe>cat>pipe>res>pipe>Muffler
forgot tailpipe, lol

the only way people get pulled over here with a loud exhaust is when they don't have one at all,but when kids with their civics pass by in a weed whacker,thats ok though.
anyone can make a 4 cylinder car sound like a weedwacker, it's not that hard. If you put a fart can on the rear of the cobalt, it will sound like a weedwacker, lol

Kids just arent smart enough to know, for proper noise levels, you are gonna have ta pay.

·
Registered
257 Posts
forgot tailpipe, lol

anyone can make a 4 cylinder car sound like a weedwacker, it's not that hard. If you put a fart can on the rear of the cobalt, it will sound like a weedwacker, lol

Kids just arent smart enough to know, for proper noise levels, you are gonna have ta pay.
LOL...ya i forgot the tail pipe...smart ass:)

the bends make a difference in sound too

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
LOL...ya i forgot the tail pipe...smart ass:)

the bends make a difference in sound too
same with the number of bends. the straighter the pipe, the louder, and often deeper the note.

btw, i take being a smart ass as a compliment:D

·
Registered
257 Posts
same with the number of bends. the straighter the pipe, the louder, and often deeper the note.

btw, i take being a smart ass as a compliment:D
HAHA....your alright cobaltkrazy:)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.