Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hit a raccoon on friday night around midnight on my way home from work. since i was going up a semi-steep hill, i was probably at around 50mph when it ran out in front of me, i didnt have time to react so i ended up nailing it. after a minor swearing session [was the 2nd raccoon i've hit in 4 days...first one only knocked out a fog light], i then went back to a gas station to check out the damages and then slowly drove back home [i live 16 miles from that gas station] i took quite a few pictures when i got there and a few that i took later in the morning are as follows...

and this is all that i have left of the lower grill, which i had to pull out from under the radiator...

i decided to give my insurance company a call that morning and they're sending an appraiser to my house on monday between 8am and noon to check out the car. i havent had time to take the car to get an estimate and probably won't get a chance to do so until tuesday or wednesday due to a shitty work schedule. so since this is the first ever insurance claim i've made, im wondering, what is the appraiser going to do? also, my family thinks this will be covered under the comprehensive part of my insurance but weren't too sure, what do you all think? i kind of hope it is, only because that deductible is only $200 rather than $500 :laugh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
were in upstate ny are u at cuz i was driving up 26 outside of rome last night and i hit one with my drivers side tire and thought it was my grill at 1st i started to freak out, then i got ouy and saw it was my tire lol and rim lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i live just north of watertown but at the time of the raccoon incident i was maybe 3 miles from there on the outskirts of the city on rt 12. there's been quite a few raccoons around the area, foxes too, so it's only a matter of time really before they get hit

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh im definately fine, can't say the same about the car tho as it's been sitting in the driveway sobbing since i got home that night :sad: but i hope everything works out too. its my first time dealing with car insurance so im hoping i can get thru it in one piece :unsure:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
if you could go get estimates it'd help you out a lot. if you can get a printed estimate from a reputable body shop in your area you can give that to the appraiser and show him that's how much you need. because what he's gonna do is he's gonna come look at your car and get it fixed as bone f*cking cheap as he can get away with

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Having had my car disabled by a coon strike about 2 months ago, it will be covered under comprehensive.

And definately make sure to give the dealer the p/n for the grille... My dealer tried to put an upside-down LT grille in instead.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
who's your insurer?

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 AM ----------

I'm sure it'll be covered, most companies are pretty good about trying to be fair lately (in my experience) the only concern is if your rate will go up (and how much), but most forgive the first accident anyway. so I wouldn't stress it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not sure what your deductible is or the cost of such a repair but I'm thinking unless you can fix it yourself there's likely to be some out of pocket expense involved. Chalk it up to the cost of having a car I guess.

On the other hand, sometimes it can work out for you. Last year while driving back from ME in my truck, a rock kicked up by a semi hit the lower corner of my windshield leaving a small spider. My insurance company sent a guy out within a few days to repair the windshield at no charge. I still have the small spider, but the fix should stabilize it I was told.

·
Registered
567 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my insurer is preferred mutual, i just switched to them from progressive back in june. as for deductibles, according to my policy its $200 for comprehensive and $500 for collision.

Nighthawk243 said:
Having had my car disabled by a coon strike about 2 months ago, it will be covered under comprehensive.

And definately make sure to give the dealer the p/n for the grille... My dealer tried to put an upside-down LT grille in instead.
under comprehensive you say? wonderful! i have the $200 available right now, but it would have taken another week or two to come up with the other $300 if it had been under collision instead. i will be sure to locate a part number to the lower grill as well, thanks for the tip :bigsmile:

Nosfuratu9 said:
if you could go get estimates it'd help you out a lot. if you can get a printed estimate from a reputable body shop in your area you can give that to the appraiser and show him that's how much you need. because what he's gonna do is he's gonna come look at your car and get it fixed as bone f*cking cheap as he can get away with
i wouldnt have time to get estimates until at least tuesday but by then it may be too late since the appraiser is coming tomorrow morning between 8am and noon. i tried calling around to a few well known body shops but they're all closed. should i go ahead and get an estimate after the appraiser comes or will it be too late? i still have to call these shops to see which one can do the work...hopefully the appraiser doesn't cheap out too much :unsure:

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Man, that sucks - hope it all gets taken care of though!

·
Registered
83 Posts
i hit a raccoon on friday night around midnight on my way home from work. since i was going up a semi-steep hill, i was probably at around 50mph when it ran out in front of me, i didnt have time to react so i ended up nailing it. after a minor swearing session [was the 2nd raccoon i've hit in 4 days...first one only knocked out a fog light], i then went back to a gas station to check out the damages and then slowly drove back home [i live 16 miles from that gas station] i took quite a few pictures when i got there and a few that i took later in the morning are as follows...

and this is all that i have left of the lower grill, which i had to pull out from under the radiator...

i decided to give my insurance company a call that morning and they're sending an appraiser to my house on monday between 8am and noon to check out the car. i havent had time to take the car to get an estimate and probably won't get a chance to do so until tuesday or wednesday due to a shitty work schedule. so since this is the first ever insurance claim i've made, im wondering, what is the appraiser going to do? also, my family thinks this will be covered under the comprehensive part of my insurance but weren't too sure, what do you all think? i kind of hope it is, only because that deductible is only $200 rather than $500 :laugh:

ive had this happen to me twice already. the appraiser is basically going to look at your car, possibly write down the damage, he/she might take some pictures, and they are going ask you where you want it to be towed to (auto shop). They will give them a call and a tow truck will come pick it up (insurance will pay for the towing part of it). From what i went through, the mechanic person at the auto shop will either call you directly or call the appraiser and let you know exactly whats damaged.. but i can tell by your pictures your radiator is damaged..thats what mine looked like after my raccoon hit...
It will be covered under comprehensive. sometimes i wish i had a $200 deductible instead of $500..
But thats basically whats gonna happen. How ever much the damage costs, you only pay $200, while the insurance covers the rest.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.