Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, lately I have been looking into dash cams. I have two concerns that I need answers for before I make a decision.

1) Is it just me or do the cigarette lighter ports have power even when the vehicle is off? Is there a way to stop that?

2)If I were to hardwire my dash cam to turn on when the car turns on, where would I tap into a power supply?

·
Registered
153 Posts
On the interior fuse panel on the passenger side footwell, fuses 15 wipers and 19 steering wheel control are powered only when the car is in run. I power my GPS and gauges from these two with an add a circuit.
Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive
Buy yourself a cheap power extension
url="Http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00065L2D8"]Roadpro 12V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter:Amazon:Automotive[/url]

Can't get the link working, but type roadpro 12v battery clip on into Amazon.

Cut the clip ends off, wire the add a circuit to the positive and ground the other end under a bolt touching the frame near the fuse panel and voila, you have power that shuts off when the key is in acc or off. You don't have to damage the cable on your dash cam. Just hide the wires under the dash. A few zip ties and some wire loom will aid in hiding the wires and keep them from rubbing on anything, but are unnecessary.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the interior fuse panel on the passenger side footwell, fuses 15 wipers and 19 steering wheel control are powered only when the car is in run. I power my GPS and gauges from these two with an add a circuit.
Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive
Buy yourself a cheap power extension
url="Http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00065L2D8"]Roadpro 12V Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter:Amazon:Automotive[/url]

Can't get the link working, but type roadpro 12v battery clip on into Amazon.

Cut the clip ends off, wire the add a circuit to the positive and ground the other end under a bolt touching the frame near the fuse panel and voila, you have power that shuts off when the key is in acc or off. You don't have to damage the cable on your dash cam. Just hide the wires under the dash. A few zip ties and some wire loom will aid in hiding the wires and keep them from rubbing on anything, but are unnecessary.

pics?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry for the quality of the pictures. All I have available is my phone camera. Everything is already installed, which makes it more difficult... For my GPS, i used the WIPER fuse.

Here is the passenger side fuse panel. The positive wire off the power extension is in green, for visibility. The ground is in yellow and runs from the end of the power extension, through the wire loom, to where I grounded it. I have a picture of that below. For the end of that wire, I got an end that was a metal circle, crimped it on, and put the bolt through the center and tightened it back into the frame. (There are two power wires because I have another wire powering my gauges. You should only have one add-a-fuse wire)

Here is the add-a-fuse pulled out. the original fuse goes in, as well as a new fuse rated for your application. The additional fuse should be of the same value or less as the fuse that you are tapping, not to exceed the rating of the add-a-fuse. To ease installation, I ran 18Gauge wire from the add-a-fuse to the other side of the car and attached it to the end of the power extension. That allowed me to run the wires without stretching them.

Here is where I grounded the circuit.

This is a shot on the drivers side looking under the dash. The power extension plugs directly into the car adapter for the GPS unit.

Run the gps wire up the drivers side of the dash to keep hidden.

Pull out enough so you can attach to the gps.

Sorry for the terrible write up, but if you have any questions, let me know. It is a pretty simple job. I used heat shrink on all the connections where I put two wires together, or added some kind of end. I tried to wire loom all of the wires as well, so they don't rub on anything. In all, it took maybe 30 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Don't put a fuse in the "Fuse tap" before you are all done, because you could put it upside down by accident. If you plug it in and your car cam already has power without the fuse it's upside down. Flip it and make sure carcam doesn't come on, then add the fuse. Max 2amp.

These 2 are tied together and are the positive side of the feed.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yes and yes.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Not huge into electronics specs but I'm surprised a camera doesn't use more than 2 amps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

This is really exciting. Lots of crazies on the road here in upstate New York so I'm sure I'll get some awesome videos.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Yes and yes.

I think I might have spotted a hiccup in the plan. The power the camera requires is 5v and 1.5a.

Wow I'm over tired hahaha. The hardwire I ordered converts the output to 5 volts 1.5 amps to match my camera. So I'm good. Dash Camera Vehicle Hard Wire Kit - Mini USB Compatible with G1w / G1w-C / G1WH / GT680W / Mini 0801 / Mobius Action Spy Tec Camera and More | Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam | Black Box Video Recorder | https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MH4ZVHO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_F-S1ub1WS4KM0
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MH4ZVHO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_F-S1ub1WS4KM0

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Apparently the hardwire allows the camera to run 24 hours without killing the battery if I put the camera in parking mode. That's pretty cool.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I have mine setup so that it comes on when I start the car and records 2 minute clips. My micro SD card can record up to 10 hours.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
CarCam. Cheapy but does the trick.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I didn't because I was testing which fuses were off when the key was off and I'm too lazy to keep disconnecting the battery, but it wouldn't hurt now that you already know which fuse you are going to use.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.