Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From people who have the colored trim, am I better off buying the colered trim from GM or is spray paint a good enough subsitute, and does anyone have any pics of the red trim? Preferably in a LS or base coupe.

·
Registered
236 Posts
i spray painted mine black and i'm pretty sure most people just spray paint. grab a can of krylon fusion paint for plastic, or dupli-color [if you want to color match] and after a bit of sanding and priming you'll be good to go. i'm sure it'll be a lot cheaper than anything from GM.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i spray painted mine black and i'm pretty sure most people just spray paint. grab a can of krylon fusion paint for plastic, or dupli-color [if you want to color match] and after a bit of sanding and priming you'll be good to go. i'm sure it'll be a lot cheaper than anything from GM.
Okay did u put any clear coat on it or just use a high gloss paint?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah dont buy from GM, way too over priced. I messed mine up using the wrong paint the first time, and went to give up, but GM fought me over a price so i tried again with dupli-color and it turned out great! After buying the paint and clearcoat it cost me maybe 10-15 bucks, and the reward of saying that i did it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
here's my interior...

the paint that i used on the dash trim was just a random can of spray paint i found kicking around in the garage. i used a bit of clear coat on that for extra protection. for the doors and center console i used the krylon fusion satin black. it's supposed to be pretty tough stuff so i didn't bother clear coating. it's been a few months now and i haven't had a problem with it yet :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
nice that looks great! okay now i have a plan for when it gets warm again. how did you get the little defrost vents out and how would i get the slats of the others out?? I dont feel like going through the book to find how lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
most of the stuff is just held in by clips. i'm not sure about the defrost vents but for the trim i just attacked that with a flat head screwdriver. if i remember correctly there are 3 or 4 clips in the longer dash piece and two in the others. the radio panel, i want to say there was 6 but i dont remember for sure.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
most of the stuff is just held in by clips. i'm not sure about the defrost vents but for the trim i just attacked that with a flat head screwdriver. if i remember correctly there are 3 or 4 clips in the longer dash piece and two in the others. the radio panel, i want to say there was 6 but i dont remember for sure.
Yeah those i've done many times.

·
Registered
165 Posts
the defrost vents easily pop out with a flathead and some force. However my driver side was nice to me but my passenger side wasnt, for some reason the passenger side was screwed in and i couldnt get it to screw out so i pretty much broke it out but it still clipped back in. So be careful, but it should just pop out.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the defrost vents easily pop out with a flathead and some force. However my driver side was nice to me but my passenger side wasnt, for some reason the passenger side was screwed in and i couldnt get it to screw out so i pretty much broke it out but it still clipped back in. So be careful, but it should just pop out.
Yeah it had a clip but some "persuasion" got it. I just hope the paint works i got dupli color but i dont have good luck when it comes to paint and plastic.

·
Registered
165 Posts
make sure you at least prime it if you dont sand

·
Registered
165 Posts
You gonna use clear coat?

·
Registered
165 Posts
It wouldnt hurt, especially if it doesnt hold up you have to repeat the entire process. But its totally your call, i mean it doesnt take long, its like an extra couple of coats of paint. Post your pics when your done, i would like to see

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay i only did the little vents for now i want to do the cup holder too just for a little extra touch. i thought about doing all the trim and decided to wait if i do end up doing it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
glad to hear your planning things out and things are working

·
Registered
575 Posts
No offense but yuck lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Haha dammit gibson, you openly expressed son of a ***** lol

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
No offense but yuck lol
lets see what you have done to your interior then gibson, or are you ashamed of your unpainted interior????

I am hoping to get one more interior part before i choose an interior paint.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.