Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geez, 2010 cobalt, only 3 1/2 yrs old, kept out of the sun, already dash top is sooo yucky/sticky, with goo surface. Wiped with a clean rag- guess what? Even worse. Then tried ethanol and after 2 applicatons finally removed the stinkin goo. Im suspect within a few months or so it will come back. Where did the plastics engineers screw up?!

Anybody else have this problem, people?

Thakks!!

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

Im at least thinking of filing formal complaint with GM, but dont know on what site to do that . Advice appeciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe you should leave it in the sun once in a while. Plastic engineers expect it's going to be in the sun more than not. My 2007 has no problems. Unless your coolant core is leaking and what you feel is sticky residue from defog air.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, people. Guess Im the only one so far with this problem . Even if engineers figure a car WILL be in the sun, no way the sun will be "nicer" to a dash vinyl than no sun. makes no sense. very few plastics that withstand uv radiation.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Coby,

possible that your 2007's vinyl formula was the rigth one, then for the 2010's they screwed it up. just cuz its newer/more modern, doesnt mean things always get better.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I'll check my 2010 Cobalt tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
has it had any previous owner? could it be some cleaning products that were used produced that? Mine hasn't seen any sticky stuff

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It coulda had a dash cover on held with Velcro tape or something if that makes sense

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, people (except for the off taste , unfunny "jokes"), Im the original owner. No velcro, no fake dash covers, etc. Never armorall. But hey, so far, looks like other members have not seen this. Good to know.

Thnaks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe, Erica from GM customer service will chime in soon for you. Or Sarah??? Or PM them....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Never armorall. But hey, so far, looks like other members have not seen this. Good to know.

Thnaks
Have you cleaned it at all since you bought it? Do you smoke? Do you have kids that could have done something too it. ie sprayed juice all over it?

And what do you mean gooey? Is the dash actually coming apart like it is melting, or does it seem like just a coat of something on top? Dealers use some odd stuff sometimes, so maybe they armoralled it to make it nice for you, and used way too much.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I use armor all and I've never had goo. My car has been in the sun on 95+ days and also in the shade a lot. So I would contact a dealer or something.

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use armor all and I've never had goo. My car has been in the sun on 95+ days and also in the shade a lot. So I would contact a dealer or something.

Thanks, Man. Looks like this for me, is a recuring problem- once a year! I already e ailed a formal complaint to GM! Should fall on deaf ears though. Will continue to wipe down with ethanol soaked rag once a year. Sheesh........Could be worse, huh.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Hey I checked my 2010 today and it's been sitting in the sun all summer and it's tacky as hell.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
do all cobalts have the same dash? Mine has never felt like that. How hot does it get there, coby?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It never gets hot here, warm maybe. Rare are the days above 90°F.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Why don't u just go get a dash outta the wreckers for 10 bucks... U or someone must have done something to it that u shouldn't have, or used a product on it u shouldn't have. My car sits in the sun all day everyday even my old 07 ( my dad bought it off me) sits in the sun all day everyday since 07

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 09 sits in the sun all year round here in texas. No issue with the dash. the stock manual shift knob get greasy/ tacky as hell though. I just keep a rag and some meguiars to clean it off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.