Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi David Vizard here,

If you are going to start this very long (could be the longest intro ever)post please read right to the end because if you only get half way through you will be justifiably convinced I am the worlds #1 bragger. By the time you get to the end though the picture will hopefully change for the better.

Some forum members may know of me from my editorial work. I am going to give you an extensive rundown of my career accomplishments. Not because I want to brag but to save those of you who may have preconceived notions of who 'David Vizard' is from being disastrously and publicly wrong.

So why don't I just let things work themselves out here? Well I am 78 years old and have failing lungs (down to less than 25% of normal capacity) The bottom line is I don't have time to correct preconceived notions.

To date I have had 35 books published and I am working on my 36th. I have had almost 4000 magazine articles published. This makes me the worlds #1 performance tech author. Again at the risk of being seen as bragging let me run through some of my book titles and where they have gone since being published.

First my #1 book sales go to my Small Block Chevy engine rebuild book which is just coming up to million copies sold. (#1 in that arena) My performance SB Chevy book is the #1 selling performance book on this engine. My Big Block Chevy book is #1 selling on that engine. My 'How to Build Horsepower' book was a #1 best seller BEFORE THE FIRST BOOK WAS OFF THE PRINTING PRESS!!! It sold nearly 60,000 copies before reaching the books shops. Such a sales deal tends to indicate I have a large following.

My 'Porting and Flow Testing' book was not the first on the subject but despite being a late comer it went to #`1 sales volume in just 4 weeks. My 528 page 'A' Series (original Mini Cooper engine) in it's first year (1984) sold over a million bucks worth for Haynes Publishing. This "A' Series book & my Ford 2 litre SOHC book are the only two performance books ever written that gave the info to allow rank beginners to not be just competitive against the top pro's but to totally dominate them on the track.

Here is an example of what I mean. When I finished the manuscript for my 'A' series book I lived in California. My eldest daughter, then 17 was sent a copy of that manuscript with the intent to build a motor with no help from me other than via the M/S. Well she and her 18 year old boyfriend built a 1380 engine exactly as laid out for a race engine in that book. Over a 2-1/2 year period they scored an 88% win record and were never off the podium. They beat every 5- port mini powered car - even those with engines build by UK British Touring Car champion engine builder. She also beat British Leyland’s competition departments 8 port, fuel injected, titanium rodded, Kevlar bodied mini that was 300 lbs. lighter than her's. The pro driver could not believe he had just been whitewashed by a 17 year old girl who, on top of suffering the indignity of defeat actually started telling him what they needed to do to make their car go faster. #1 on that list was read my 'A' Series book! Her and her boyfriend’s efforts resulted in a woman race car driver of the year award when she was 17 and 18 – youngest ever – won her first race in a 550 Hp Pontiac at age 13.

I am sure you are getting the point here so I won't go into details on the Ford SOHC book except to say pro engine builders were still being beaten by novices 8 years after the book was published. Obviously, their line of thinking was along the lines of 'come -on guys what can a tech writer possibly tell us that we don't already know. These tech writers come to guys like us and we give them tech to fill the pages that is at least 3 years old.' There is a lot of tech in my books that will take the industry as much as ten years to catch up on.

Let’s just sum up here with what I know many of you must be thinking and I am sure it is along the lines of – ‘well this guy obviously makes his living as a tech writer and we all know how they work. They go to the top pro’s to get their material. ’And you would be right in thinking that – EXCEPT IN MY CASE! Believe it or not MY EDITORIAL WORK IS ACTUALLY A SIDE LINE to my main career which is that of a consultant performance research engineer.

My best year as a race engine builder netted a combined 169 championship wins, race wins, track records, pole positions and fastest laps from just 8 engines! I have, during my engine building career won 4 championships by winning every race. Two of those where at international level. I make the majority of my living not as the writer that so many people think I am but as a successful consultant to the performance industry. Among my list of clients are Cosworth, Crane cams, Kent cams, McLaren, Comp Cams, Piper Cams, Oselli Engineering, Chrysler Competitions Dept (won them two BTCC) Mountune Race Engines (worlds winningest race engine shop @ international level) Magnusson Superchargers, Chrysler Advanced Engine Development (Developed emission legal turbo motor for 1600 cc Tiger – 0-100 mph in sub 13 second) British Leyland. Cyclone who, at the time were the biggest header and performance muffler manufacture in the world. Designed a shootout winning muffler that, at 2-1/4 inch beat all the 2-1/2 inch mufflers including Flow Master (they are still trying to live up to that title!) 3M, Walker Mufflers and many more.

I also write engine modeling computer programs. The two that I am concentrating on as far as time will allow are my cam selection program (which is easily the most powerful of any that are available to the public) and my cylinder head flow development program which is unique in as much as it advises the next move you might need to make. Both these powerful programs are free to my seminar attendees. (Davidvizardperformanceseminars.com)

Built a scale model flying WW2 Hawker Hurricane from just a set of plans - at age 8. Designed and build a 6-foot span glider at age 9. Built my first cannon at age 10 including making my own black powder. Built my first 9 barrel rapid fire cannon at age 11 (boy did that get me in a heap of trouble so I decided to build rockets instead of guns) Rebuilt and hopped up a 50cc bicycle-add-on motor - age 13. Built my first flow bench at age 15 and with the aid of that bench was producing competitive ‘A’ Series heads before my 16th birthday.

Figured a way to dyno test the flywheel HP of my first ‘A’ Series race engine build using sand bags, a hill and a calibrated tach and speedometer. Designed and made an electronic ignition for my 10,000-rpm race 1000 cc Mini Cooper (age 19) Designed and built prototype self-calibrating electronic fuel injection system in 1963 (age 20). Built a ground effect tunnel car six years before one was seen at Indy! And the list goes on -----

I have done over 20,000 (twenty thousand) cam test dyno pulls for Crane and Kent. My work for Kent cams made so much money for the company it allowed the boss to buy his own 50 ft sailing yacht which he parked in the Mediterranean and set up his office in it for much of the year.

Did my first real race at Silverstone in 1962 at the age of 19 in my home-built Austin A30 with a 948 ‘A’ Series engine. Since I was under the age of legal consent (it was 21 in the UK at that time) I needed permission from my parents to race. Well I knew that was not going to happen so I forged the signatures. Neither my Mom or Dad knew of my racing until I was 21. My first race was on a wet Silverstone track and I finished 3rd.

I have set track records on all the major tracks in the UK bar one (it was always raining whenever I got there but that was good as I was literally untouchable in the wet) with cars which I built (including the engines).

When asked what are my most memorable moments racing I have to say that beating all the F1 cars up a slightly wet Prescott hill climb in my 1293 Mini and, in front of a 5 million

TV audience as well as packed Brands Hatch stands, in the BTCC F1 event supporting race going from 28th on the grid with my 1600 cc Chrysler Avenger to joint first between two factory supported 350 Z28 Camaro’s – BEFORE THE FIRST BEND! (it is incredible how road racers are convinced that a drag racer cannot teach them a single thing!)

I have over 40 patents to my name but that number is just the tip of the iceberg. I have given away at least that many. My inventions cover everything from fuel patents to variable transmission designs to 4 valve cylinder head tech that has been used on F1 and Indy Cars.

In cam and head shootouts I have never lost even when competing for a contract against F1 engine manufactures.

I have done University lectures in every English-speaking nation in the world plus Germany, France, Belgium and Italy. I am the highest scoring performance engine lecturer at Universities with a satisfaction record that is unlikely to be beaten (better than 99.5 %).

I currently run small group tech seminars (3 day seminars max 10 attendees, 11 day head porting seminars 5 attendees max)

If you want to see my teaching style (or maybe lack of it) I do have some YouTube tech videos. Just put ‘David Vizard’ or ‘Powertec 10 into the search bar and you will see what is there. If you google ‘David Vizard’ you will get swamped.

So what best describes my status here – am I a journalist or a very successful development engineer who can actually tell ProStock and NASCAR engine builders a few things. My last seminar at UNC Charlotte I entertained a front row of almost exclusively NASCAR engine builders. My attendee satisfaction score after that event was a ‘never before seen at UNCC’ 100% approval.

Before you conclude which category I fall into let me say I failed every English exam of any sort I ever had. Can’t spell without the aid of spellcheck and yet I am the most widely published performance auto tech author on the face of the planet. Why would that be – it certainly isn’t my writing skills so the ‘is writer’ moniker is looking a little less than a certainty for sure. No, I like to think that I am successful at this tech writing malarky for one reason and that is everything that I write about works just like I say or better.

Most tech writers spend their time asking pro’s for tech material - like these pro’s are going to give away their latest hard earned race winning tech. The only time these guys spill the beans is when they have a product that they want to sell masses of. When that’s the case they often ramp up the products capability so as to sell more. Mostly those who do this don’t come to me to do the tests as they are well aware I will tell what the real world shows.

My work time is usually divided into about 10 hours dyno, flow bench or track testing for every one hour at the keyboard.

There is so much more I could write about in terms of my accomplishments in this and other fields like graduating out of the aerospace industry after 2 years designing stuff for use on Concord but I think even the most skeptical will begin to understand why I get a little ticked off at being labelled ‘a journalist’. I started writing because I saw so many editorial mistakes and downright BS. I thought that, as hard working, money shy, performance enthusiasts we need to be treated with the truth not the often inaccurate, poorly researched, advertising tainted stuff we are so often fed. Following the factual path has led to the loss of vast amounts of income and two death threat contracts if I published. Guess what – I published!

Many in the sport think they know pretty much precisely what I do and they make judgements based on such. I can tell you now that I live in a world that most folk in the business can hardly imagine so judgements base on what they believe look to me just like those poorly researched articles they guys so often complain about.

So let me ask again – am I a writer or a consultant performance engineer. You decide.

If you made it this far let’s get to the principal reason why I signed up for this Cobalt forum.

Back in 2011 my youngest daughter Jacque, paid cash for a car (a stick shift Cobalt LS) for which she had been single mindedly saving the money for since she was 5. Mind you the target at 5 was a pink VW. At the age of just 8 she could put the car she then owned (a really ratty looking but strong running Chevy Corsica. It looked bad because it was one that had all the paint fall off) into a four-wheel drift with total confidence (closed track). It took four pillows to get her seated right. At the tender age of 11 she made her first pass of Mooresville Drag strip in a stick shift 5.0 Mustang. (Picture below) Now you might think it incredible that she had driven a stick shift for the first time just 90 minutes previously. Sure that sounds like a great accomplishment but the real kicker here is she had also built the engine which, on Ultra-Pro’s dyno, cranked out 346 hp and 368 lbs-ft. This Iron headed motor was built out of all the suitable good used parts in the shop. The only help she had was lifting the heads and crank into place.

By the time she was 16 she had a couple of 496 BBC and 383 Small blocks on her resume. But at the end of the day she was a Blue Oval fan. We donated her the car she raced at Mooresville when she was eleven and a couple of years later she set about building a motor for what was now a low buck track only car. Again using all the best used parts in the shop she built a 306 motor that was totally street drivable, looked like a show motor and with a vacuum distributor and carb it cranked out - on 87 octane pump gas - 447 hp and 401 lbs.-ft on top fuel champion Doug Herbert’s dyno (Picture below). Shirley Muldowney, who happened to be present, was overwhelmingly impressed with a 16-year-old girl who not only built her own race engines but also knew how to dyno test them.

Doug was very impressed with Jacque well before that and asked if she would like to do a tryout in his gas dragster. Well, this got just the reply I expected. After just 3 passes Doug announced that she was ready to go for her Top Fuel license. Shirley Muldowney had told her that after she won her first race she would organize a top fuel sponsorship. Everything looked set for another race champ in the family but it was never to be. She passed away in 2014 at just 18 years old. Please do not ask for details – the whole incident is still far too painful.

I obviously inherited her bright yellow Cobalt LS. The plan was that she would get a years’ experience driving with this for insurance reasons and then we would sell it and get a 1-year-old bright yellow V8 HiPo Mustang. Well of course that never happened and I could never bring myself to sell the car. So, it has sat in the driveway for 5 years. This year I asked myself what would Jacque want me to do with it. Well, I think she would say “Dad, convert it into a track day car”. After being struck with this thought I could see how it could benefit my 5.0 Mustang race program. My engine endurance testing is often done at the race track because it is more realistic than the dyno as well as more fun and less money.

Typically the races we will be entering are long distance deals ie 24 hours. The idea is to run the braking and cornering to minimize brake and tire wear but to run the engine to the red line in every gear to see what might break. I have put together a team of some half dozen drivers who are responsible but have minimal road course experience. What I want to do here is get some track layout experience for these drivers in a track day car – yes you have it -the Cobalt.

I also want to do a YouTube video of the procedures. Engine wise I am not looking for much more power - simple bolt on’s and a dyno tune will do. However here is where I am falling down on the planed job. I know little to nothing about the parts available to do wheels & tires plus suspension and brakes. I am looking to do these area’s with parts that produce the best bang for the buck.

Guy’s I need help – big time. And talking of time I don’t have a lot so this job needs to be done fairly quickly. What I would like to do is enlist the aid of one or two experts here exclusively. I have been checking out posts and this forum seems to have more than it’s share of knowledgeable people. Hopefully I can enlist such people and discuss what I need to do via the phone. Let me know if you can be of help.

Thanks and you all have a great new year.
David Vizard

DSC01925a 72dpi.jpg
010.jpg

1 - 1 of 1 Posts